- In Orakzai, Taliban have imposed a sum of Rs 12 million as jazia on Sikhs
- Contrary to media reports, the amount is not paid yet. Sikh families remain in the custody of Taliban.
- In medieval times, jazia was levied on non-Muslims in an Islamic state
- Those who paid jazia could follow their religion, provided protection
- Since Muslims paid zakat or alms for the poor to the state, which was spent on welfare, non-Muslims had to contribute their share through jazia
- But jazia was unpopular. Akbar removed it; Aurangzeb reimposed it.