2. Logistics to balance: You may need to take time off work to deal with plumbers, the gas man, sometimes even shopping.
3. The buck stops: With you. Whether you’re in an emergency or simply grappling with a decision, you’re alone. You can call, but single women can find it hard to cope with cops.
4. Overtime abuse: Bosses are more likely to keep you late at work if they think you haven’t a partner (or worse still, children) to go back to.
5. You’re up for ‘it’: Why do so many people think ‘single’ means ‘available’? Especially if you’re a woman, you’ll face passes and appalling jokes.
6. Homohypothesis: Insist on staying single and people will speculate wildly. It does not matter whether you’re actually gay,...