The buzz around "fixing" India's English is growing louder and louder....
- The British Council plans to train 7,50,000 Indian teachers in English over the next five years
- Narendra Modi is paying for 5 lakh young Gujaratis to learn English in time for Gujarat's golden jubilee in 2010
- A new English-teaching TV programme, Angrezi Mein Kehte Hain, is being launched on NDTV to cash in on the huge aspiration for English
- A Hyderabad-based company has announced plans to deliver a daily dose of English words and their meanings to mobile phones, so that Indians can improve their English vocabulary
- The Delhi government is teaching cabbies to speak English in time for the Commonwealth Games in 2010
Brajesh Kumar's personal file is pristine - no thumbmarks, no blotches, no yellowing pages. There wasn't time. Within weeks of his joining a private engineering college in upscale Greater Noida, the 22-year-old had committed suicide, leaving a...