On Mamata’s Watch...
- July 19, ’10: The Uttarbanga Express rams into Vananchal Express, killing 67
- June 18, ’10: The Amravati Express derails near Koppal, leaving 27 injured
- June 4, ’10: The Coimbatore-Mettupalayam special train hits minibus at an unmanned crossing near Coimbatore. Five killed.
- May 28, ’10: The Gyaneshwari Express collides with a goods train in West Bengal, killing 149
- Jan 2, ’10: The Lichchavi Express rams into the stationary Magadh Express at the station in Etawah, injuring 10
- Jan 2, ’10: The Gorakhdham Express and the Prayagraj Express collide near Kanpur, killing five and injuring 40
- Nov 14, ’09: 15 coaches of the Jodhpur-Delhi Mandor superfast express derails near Jaipur, killing seven people
- Oct 20, ’09: Goa Express rams into a stationary Mewar Express near Mathura, leaving 22 dead
The cause of the July 19 accident, in which the Uttarbanga Express collided with the stationary Vananchal Express, killing 67 people and injuring 150 in Sainthia, W. Bengal, is still a mystery. While there are suggestions that it was sabotage, initial reports point to a signalling or track-changing error. Some theories blame the driver and assistant driver of the Uttarbanga Express, some a fault in the braking system. And, at the time of writing, a vital fact still remains to be determined: whether the signal before the Sainthia station was red or green.