No Answer Sheets
- Mumbai University on the decline over the last decade
- Withdrawal of Such A Long Journey over Sena pressure is the latest manifestation of this
- Academic courses discouraged in favour of funds-generating self-financed courses
- Little meaningful research happening; political interference bane in university functioning
- V-C’s appointment has been challenged in court. They say he is not qualified for the job.
The story of Gustad Noble, the protagonist in Rohinton Mistry’s Such a Long Journey, ends with Noble pulling black paper masking (mandatory during the 1971 war) off the ventilators and window panes of his house. In Mumbai University, where the novel was controversially withdrawn from the second year Bachelor of Arts curriculum, the metaphor was telling: dark days loom ahead.