- Dictator Idi Amin ordered Asians, mainly Indians, out of the country in 1972
- In the '80s, the Milton Obote government passed a legislation returning property to those who had left in 1972
- Among the Indian returnees were a large number of businessmen who harnessed the new political climate to their advantage
- Sudhir and Jyotsna Ruparelia started from a store selling beer in the '80s. Today their Meera Group owns banks, hotels, foreign exchange centres, insurance companies, etc.
- Jyotsna is described as the most successful Asian businesswoman in Africa; Sudhir is universally known as the "money magnate"
- Mayur Madhvani, filmstar Mumtaz's husband, has expanded his business across the world from Uganda
- Business houses from India are moving into Uganda, as also those willing to take up jobs and run businesses
***The cameras were all gone when Jyotsna Ruparelia made it back to Uganda with...