- Hymenoplasty or restoration of ruptured hymen is sought after because of the importance Pakistani men attach to marrying virgins
- The rising demand for it is proof of the society’s sexual liberation
- Total cost: Rs 40,000; time taken for surgery: 30 minutes to two hours
- Post surgery, the person must wait for three months to have sex. Intercourse leads to bleeding.
- In the West, though, women resort to hymenoplasty to pep up their sex lives. It costs $2,000.
***Hymenoplasty or restoration of ruptured hymen was one secret most Pakistanis knew was practised clandestinely. They’d whisper the addresses of doctors performing the surgery to harried girls keen to reclaim their virginity weeks before their nuptial night. Call it the irony or hypocrisy of our times, but even as Islamists seek to impose their worldview on a schizophrenic society, hymenoplasty is witnessing a boom. Doctors now advertise in...