Iron In The Drink
The project is said to be in serious violation of several legal provisions
- No clearance secured from the Environmental Impact Assessment Authority as required under a notification in 2006 by the MoEF.
- Denial of compensation is against the provisions of the Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Act and violates principles of fairness
- Land Acquisition Act provided that if acquired land was not used for the specified purpose for a period of 10 years, it was to be returned to the owners or their heirs.
- The Sardar Sarovar Project, for which land was acquired, has been completed. Further use of this land is against rules framed by Narmada Control Authority
- While land acquired for a Narmada canal may be in the ‘national interest’, can construction of a three-star hotel be deemed to be so?
- No social impact assessment was conducted for the 12 km long ‘man-made lake’ or Garudeshwar weir, the width of which is still undecided even as work on the weir has commenced