Who's Getting Into The Civil Services?
- Less than 2 in 10 entrants were from a metro or a state capital in '04
- More than 5 were born in a tehsil or district town in '04
- One out of four are kids of fathers who have not studied beyond matriculation
- 4 in 10 were engineers, techies or medics
- New recruits are older. About 50% in '05 were over 25.
- 4 in 10 now sit for the exam in Hindi, but English-types still have the upper hand
- 12 of top 50 rank-holders in the latest (2006) civil services exam are OBCs
- 32.5 % of IAS officers inducted in the last five years are OBCs
- Despite reservation, only a tiny fraction of civil servants are first-generation learners
- More women are making it to the IAS
- Tamilians and UP-ites dominate the last three years' IAS intake
Mai-Baaps Of Those...