Here's why the Sun network needs the DMK:
- It has grown into a mega empire with 20 channels, seven FM stations, two dailies etc because of proximity to DMK
- DMK cadre supported Sun, helped browbeat competitors, buy out cable operators
- Free CTV scheme benefited Sun since it controls cable operations in Tamil Nadu
- DMK made Dayanidhi the communications & IT ministry, it helped network grow
- Sun's diversification plans may be grounded without the support of the DMK
***With 20 television channels panning South India, seven FM radio stations, two Tamil newspapers and four magazines, an English-language tabloid based out of Chennai in the pipeline (a tie-up with media mogul Rupert Murdoch), the sky seems to be the limit for Kalanidhi Maran's media empire. After being listed in the stock exchange, Sun TV Ltd's shares have done well, but for the drop of about 8 per cent (worth Rs 900 crore) since...