IS Claims Responsibility For Istanbul Nightclub Attack
The Islamic State group today claimed responsibility for an attack on a nightclub in the Turkish city of Istanbul that killed 39 people, including two Indians, on New Year's Eve.
In a statement circulated on social media, the jihadist group said one of the "soldiers of the caliphate" had carried out the attack on the Reina nightclub.
Earlier, Hurriyet daily said Turkish police and intelligence had received information over the risk of a New Year's attack by IS in several Turkish cities and had carried out raids and arrests throughout December in response.
Without citing sources, it said that the attacker -- who is still on the run -- is believed to be linked to IS and may have been from Kyrgyzstan or Uzbekistan.
Investigators also consider it possible that the attacker is linked to the same cell that in June carried out a triple suicide bombing and gun attack at Istanbul's Ataturk airport blamed on IS that left 47 dead, it added.
In a separate article also in Hurriyet, columnist Abdulkadir Selvi wrote that Turkey received intelligence from the United States on December 30 warning of the risk of attacks by IS in Istanbul and Ankara on New Year's night.
However the intelligence did not specify the location of where such an attack could take place, the article added.
Turkish authorities have so far not said who was behind the attack on the Reina nightclub just after New Year struck.
But they have launched a massive manhunt for the attacker, who is believed to have slipped away after changing his clothes.
The attack came as the Turkish army wages a four-month incursion in Syria to oust IS jihadists and Kurdish militants from the border area, suffering increasing casualties.
Istanbul, Ankara and other Turkish cities were hit by a string of attacks in 2016 blamed on Kurdish militants and jihadists that left hundreds dead.
- Saharanpur: SP, DM Suspended, Internet, Messaging Blocked
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Sonia Gandhi to Host Opposition Meet to Discuss Joint Candidate for Presidential Poll
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Canada Denies Entry To Retired CRPF Officer For Serving A Govt That 'Engages In Terrorism'
- Twitter Forces Rawal To Delete Tweet On Roy, Suspends Account Of Abhijeet Who Sung Abuses
- 'Enemy' Will Remember Pakistan's Response To Aggression: Air Force Chief
- NIA Court Sentences BJP Leader And Two Others For Life Term For Terror Funding In Assam