IS Claims Responsibility For Istanbul Nightclub Attack
The Islamic State group today claimed responsibility for an attack on a nightclub in the Turkish city of Istanbul that killed 39 people, including two Indians, on New Year's Eve.
In a statement circulated on social media, the jihadist group said one of the "soldiers of the caliphate" had carried out the attack on the Reina nightclub.
Earlier, Hurriyet daily said Turkish police and intelligence had received information over the risk of a New Year's attack by IS in several Turkish cities and had carried out raids and arrests throughout December in response.
Without citing sources, it said that the attacker -- who is still on the run -- is believed to be linked to IS and may have been from Kyrgyzstan or Uzbekistan.
Investigators also consider it possible that the attacker is linked to the same cell that in June carried out a triple suicide bombing and gun attack at Istanbul's Ataturk airport blamed on IS that left 47 dead, it added.
In a separate article also in Hurriyet, columnist Abdulkadir Selvi wrote that Turkey received intelligence from the United States on December 30 warning of the risk of attacks by IS in Istanbul and Ankara on New Year's night.
However the intelligence did not specify the location of where such an attack could take place, the article added.
Turkish authorities have so far not said who was behind the attack on the Reina nightclub just after New Year struck.
But they have launched a massive manhunt for the attacker, who is believed to have slipped away after changing his clothes.
The attack came as the Turkish army wages a four-month incursion in Syria to oust IS jihadists and Kurdish militants from the border area, suffering increasing casualties.
Istanbul, Ankara and other Turkish cities were hit by a string of attacks in 2016 blamed on Kurdish militants and jihadists that left hundreds dead.
- Thousands March in London Against Brexit
- Kerala Man Racially Abused In Australia
- EC Wants To Cap Anonymous Cash Donations
- EVM Tampering: AAP Writes to EC
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Was Asked To Not Speak To The Media Till Wednesday, Says Shiv Sena's Gaikwad
- 'Jatayu Was The First To Fight Against Terrorism,' Says PM Modi
- Yogi Adityanath Credits PM Modi, Amit Shah For Landmark Victory In Uttar Pradesh
- Indian Man From Kerala Racially Abused And Assaulted By Teenagers In Australia
- Rajiv Gandhi Was The Only Good Human Being In Nehru-Gandhi Family, Says Subramanian Swamy
- Uttar Pradesh CM Adityanath Asks BJP Functionaries To Shun Contractual Work
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- BSF Whistleblower Jawan Tej Bahadur Yadav Is Alive, Wife Denies Rumours Of Death
- 'I've Lived With A Mental Illness Victim, I Know The Pain', Says Tharoor Supporting Bill To Decriminalise Suicide Attempt
- Congress No More Has Foot Soldiers To Rebuild Party, What It Has Is Mercenaries Bred By Local Congressmen
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus Named Best Selling Smartphones Of 2016