'Farewell Gift To The Nation- In-Law'
Today's Indian Express has revealed that the CBI under advice from the Attorney General for India has withdrawn the Red Corner notice against Ottavio Quattrocchi, an accused in the Bofor’s bribery case. This action of the CBI is clearly at the behest of the political establishment and at the cost of its own credibility. The cancellation of the Red Corner notice on the eve of its own departure is a "farewell gift to the nation- in-law". The timing of the withdrawal of the notice is an indication that the leadership of the UPA is so convinced of the loss of its power that, like most despotic regimes, it is obliging its friends in the last days of the office.
The CBI has mastered the art of self goals and sabotage in criminal cases involving the friends of the ruling establishments.
The CBI strategy to help Quattrocchi from the very beginning has been clear:
- Delay in lodging an FIR
- Delay in sending letter rogataries
- Not appealing against an erroneous judgement of the Delhi High Court in 2004
- Collusion in de- freezing of Quattrocchi’s bank account in London
- Making statements in London to the Crown Prosecutor that there is no case against Qutrocchi
- Allowing the statements to be used against itself in the arrest case in Latin America, and finally
- The withdrawal of the Red Corner notice have all been designed to help the accused.
The CBI was created to investigate major corruption cases and maintain the purity of government functioning. Today it conspires with the accused to earn them a clean chit. The following are all examples of CBI’s political conduct being influenced by politics.
- The Bofors case
- The non grant of sanction to prosecute Satish Sharma
- The non filing of an appeal in the case of the disproportionate asserts of Sibu Soren
- The change of public prosecutor in the corruption case of Lalu Prasad
- The concealment of material evidence, the constitution of special Bench of the ITAT and the non filing of the appeal in the said case
The CBI played down Mayawati’s Taj Corridor case, when she supported the UPA. The DA case was activated when she withdrew support from the UPA. The CBI took a hostile attitude in the DA case against Mulayam Singh Yadav when the UPA- SP relationship was acrimonious. It changed its altitude during, the period of political honeymoon between the UPA and the SP.
Today, the CBI deserves to be investigated. It has lost its credibility. It only responds to its political masters. Recent articles by Justice J.S. Verma and Mr F.S. Nariman are a telling comment on the CBI. The BJP, if voted to power, would appoint a commission headed by a Supreme Court Judge in order to investigate the collusion of the CBI with the accused in several sensitive cases and suggest steps to institutionalise the independence of the CBI. It is now time that the CBI is made accountable.
- DMK Objects to Jayalalithaa's Portraits
- 'I Am Not Scared Of ABVP', DU Student And Kargil Martyr's Daughter's Facebook Post Goes Viral Sends Strong Message To ABVP
- 'Delhi Police Has Become Agent of BJP'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Cash, Liquor Seizures Go Through The Roof During Assembly Polls 2017
- Mumbai Is The Richest Indian City With Total Wealth Of USD 820 Billion
- Syrian Cinematographer Denied Entry Into US To Attend Oscars
- Muslim Outfit Asks CBFC To Ban Lipstick Under My Burkha For Going Against 'Tenets Of Islam'
- 3-Year-Old Twin Brothers Found Dead Inside A Washing Machine
- Vietnam: Kim Killing Suspect Thought She Was Taking Part In A Prank In A 'Comedy Video'
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- BSF Jawan Tej Bahadur Questions PM Modi's Desire To Oust Corruption In Another Video
- Indian Techie’s Murder In US: Shooter Yelled 'Get Out Of My Country', Survivor Says ‘We're All Humans’
- There Will Be Mud
- India Wants UN Security Council Seat But Runs Shy Of International Criminal Court Facing Desertion