Trail Of Terror
Hyderabad has a history of terrorist strikes allegedly masterminded by Islamic groups/ISI. Here is a police roster of the most lethal ones:
- February 26, 2001: Bomb explodes outside state secretariat. No loss of life.
- Nov 21, 2002: Scooter bomb kills one person at Sai Baba temple, Dilkushnagar
- Oct 28, 2004: Main water pipeline to the city blasted at Patancheru.
- Nov 4, 2004: Blast outside police control room. No casualties.
- October 12, 2005: Special Task Force office targeted. Two killed.
- May 7, 2006: Three injured in Odeon theatre blast
- May 18, 2007: Mecca Masjid blast. Death toll 14.
- August 25, 2007: Twin blasts in the city kills 41.
Who was behind the August 25 blasts? Here are some leads the police are pursuing:
- The HUJI Connection: The role of Bangladesh-based Harkat-ul-Jehad-al-Islami (HUJI) is under the scanner. Its key operative Bilal is from Hyderabad.
- The Jaish-Lashkar Link: Union home ministry sees a JeM-LeT involvement
- ISI Hand: The real estate boom in Hyderabad has lured outsiders. It has also helped ISI agents set up shop. They funded the operation executed by locals.
- The Ganesh Chaturthi Angle: The August 25 incident happened 20 days before the Ganesh festival. Hyderabad is always tense at this time. So was it some local group?