Thursday, Aug 18, 2022
×
Outlook.com
×

PSG Vs Istanbul Basaksehir: Champions League Match Called Off After Shocking Racism Incident - WATCH

PSG and Istanbul Basaksehir players walked off after alleged racism by match official in the UEFA Champions League match

Basaksehir's English Twitter account posting a message saying the club's assistant coach, Pierre Webo, had been called a racist word by fourth official Sebastian Coltescu. Courtesy: Twitter

Paris Saint-Germain's UEFA Champions League clash with Istanbul Basaksehir in Paris will be resumed on Wednesday (7 pm local time), according to reports in France. The match was suspended Tuesday night after allegations of racism against the fourth official. (More Football News)

Ligue 1 tweeted that "Tonight's #UCL match between @PSG_English and Istanbul BaÅŸakÅŸehir was been called off due to an incident involving the visitors' assistant manager, Pierre Webó, and the fourth official - it will now take place tomorrow at 18:55 CET."

The game was stopped after 13 minutes at Parc des Princes, with both sets of players gathering on the sidelines for more than 10 minutes before Basaksehir's players walked down the tunnel. They were followed by PSG's players.

The same has been confirmed by the UEFA.

“After discussion with both clubs – decided on an exceptional basis to have remaining minutes of match played tomorrow with a new team of match officials. Kick-off set at 18:55 (CET). A thorough investigation on the incident that took place will be opened immediately,” UEFA said in a statement. 

Basaksehir's English Twitter account posting a message saying the club's assistant coach, Pierre Webo, had been called a racist word by fourth official Sebastian Coltescu. 

The Turkish side also posted an image on its official Twitter account stating 'No To Racism' soon after the incident, with Galatasaray posting the same graphic in apparent solidarity with their counterparts.

Reports in Paris suggested the match was set to resume at 22:00 CET without Coltescu on the sideline.

In an earlier statement, UEFA said that a resumption had been agreed on the condition Coltescu was stood down.

"Following an alleged incident involving the fourth official, the match was temporarily suspended. After consultation with both teams, it was agreed that the match would restart with a different fourth official," the statement read

“"UEFA will thoroughly investigate the matter and further communication will be made in due course."

(With Omnisport inputs)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Must Read