Sunday, Sep 19, 2021
Outlook.com
Outlook.com

No Toll Booths, Complete GPS-Based Toll Collection Within A Year: Nitin Gadkari

Nitin Gadkari asserted 93% of the vehicles pay toll using FASTag, while the remaining 7 per cent have still not taken it despite paying a double toll.

No Toll Booths, Complete GPS-Based Toll Collection Within A Year: Nitin Gadkari
Nitin Gadkari | File Photo
No Toll Booths, Complete GPS-Based Toll Collection Within A Year: Nitin Gadkari
outlookindia.com
2021-03-18T13:47:21+05:30

Union Minister of Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari has informed Lok Sabha that the government will remove toll plaza booths across the country within a year. He also said that a complete GPS-based toll collection will be implemented to replace toll plazas.

While speaking in Lok Sabha on ‘Vehicle Scrapping Policy’, Nitin Gadkari said, “I want to assure the House that within one year all physical toll booths in the country will be removed. It means that toll collection will happen via GPS. The money will be collected based on GPS imaging (on vehicles).”

Gadkari asserted 93 per cent of the vehicles pay toll using FASTag, while the remaining 7 per cent have still not taken it despite paying a double toll. Gadkari has instructed police inquiry for those vehicles which do not pay toll using FASTags. There are cases of toll theft and GST evasion cases if FASTags are not fitted in vehicles.

What is FASTags and why is it important?

Introduced in 2016, FASTags facilitate electronic payment of fee at toll plazas. From February 16, vehicles without FASTag are required to pay double toll fee at electronic toll plazas across the country.

Making the tags compulsory would also help in ensuring that vehicles pass seamlessly through the toll plazas, as the fee payment would be done electronically.

Gadkari said new vehicles have FasTags fitted in them, while the government has said it will give free FASTags for old vehicles.

With inputs from agencies

Advertisement

Outlook Newsletters

Advertisement

Read More from Outlook

In CLP Meet, Punjab Congress MLAs Authorise Sonia Gandhi To Name The New CM; Decision Likely Tonight

In CLP Meet, Punjab Congress MLAs Authorise Sonia Gandhi To Name The New CM; Decision Likely Tonight

AICC general secretary and in-charge of Punjab Harish Rawat and two party observers from Delhi-- Harish Chaudhary and Ajay Maken –also participated in the CLP meeting in Chandigarh today.

Inside Kerala’s Pazhur Village – Where Nipah Broke Out And Was Contained

Inside Kerala’s Pazhur Village – Where Nipah Broke Out And Was Contained

A discipline earned while tackling Covid-19 may have saved Kerala from a wide outbreak of Nipah. Despite thin resources, the state health machinery kicked in to put checks in place.

Return Of Campus Life As Colleges Reopen After Long Pandemic Shutdown

Return Of Campus Life As Colleges Reopen After Long Pandemic Shutdown

After befriending gadgets for attending online classes students finally are back to real books and real conversations. Read more education stories in our latest issue.

‘Sidhu Colluded With Pakistan, High Command Humiliated Me’: Amarinder Singh After Resigning As Punjab CM

‘Sidhu Colluded With Pakistan, High Command Humiliated Me’: Amarinder Singh After Resigning As Punjab CM

Former Punjab CM Captain Amarinder Singh said that he will not leave active politics after his resignation, but will decide his new platform after discussing with his supporters.

Advertisement