Eager to become al-Qaeda chief, Aymen al-Zawahiri set up Osama bin Laden by repeatedly sending to his hideout in Pakistan's Abbottabad a courier who had been interrogated by the CIA, claims a new book.
"Despite knowing that this operative was blown, Zawahiri used Abu Ahmed al Kuwaiti to make repeated trips to bin Laden's compound," says the book "Seal Target Geronimo" written by former US SEAL commando Chuck Pfarrer.
"Based on this accumulation of information, one can draw conclusion that it was Zawahiri who led the US to bin Laden's hiding place in Abbottabad, accomplishing this through a complex and persistent series of lapses in security," he said.
"Some of these slips were subtle and some of them were so obvious that they were laughable," Pfarrer wrote in his book, which also claims that Zawahiri even tried to get the Russians to kill bin Laden and he also wrongly diagnosed bin Laden.
"Zawahiri tried to get the Russians to kill bin Laden; they did not. He hoped that Addison's disease would take him, but it did not. Now Zawahiri played his final card -- he deliberately used a blown courier to communicate with Osama, and the inevitable happened. The Americans found him," Pfarrer wrote in his 225-page book.
He said that for 30 years, 60-year-old Zawahiri had been willing to use violence to bring about his idea of Islamic government. Now, the Muslim faithful were throwing off the chains of dictatorship, the book said.
"Zawahiri had worn himself out trying to get Osama to escalate his attacks against the West. Repeated plans to smuggle chemical weapons into the US had come to naught and now Zawahiri had had enough. By late in 2009, he had determined to wrest control of al-Qaeda from bin Laden," the book says.
'Zawahiri Set Up Bin Laden to Become Al-Qaeda Chief'
Lalit K Jha/Washington
THE LATEST ISSUE
- PV Sindhu Humbles Nozomi Okuhara, Wins Maiden Gold At Badminton Worlds
- Arun Jaitley Cremated With State Honours At Nigambodh Ghat In Delhi
- Shashi Tharoor Pens Tribute, Says Arun Jaitley Was Every Non-BJP Person’s Favourite BJP Person
- ‘We Considered Ourselves Indians, Had No Second Thoughts. But Now Govt Has Changed Everything.’
- Spilling The Beans: How Murky Was Cafe Coffee Day Founder VG Siddartha's Death
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Nothing More 'Anti-National' Than Shutting Down Of Democratic Rights In Kashmir: Priyanka Gandhi
- '..Our Voice Being Taken Away,': IAS Officer Hailed During Kerala Floods Quits
- Brazil Deploys 44,000 Troops To Fight Amazon Fires Amid International Outcry
- Watch: Kashmiri Woman Meets Rahul Gandhi On Flight From Srinagar, Shares J&K's Ordeal
- Ashes Live, 3rd Test: Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow Keep England Alive
- PM Modi Reveals How Bear Grylls Conversed With Him In Hindi In 'Man Vs Wild' Special Episode
- PM Modi Meets Bahraini Crown Prince, Conferred 'The King Hamad Order Of The Renaissance'
- Trump Hails British PM As 'Right Man' For Brexit, Hints At 'Very Big US-UK Trade Deal'