Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari and Army chief Ashfaq Parvez Kayani met today, their second meeting since the memo scandal which sparked off a tense stand-off between the civilian and military leadership.
The informal meeting between Zardari and Kayani at the presidency took place after the ceremony to award Nishan-e-Imtiaz (Military) to naval chief Admiral Muhammad Asif Sandila in "recognition of his long meritorious services".
The President, who is the nominal supreme commander of Pakistan’s armed forces, came face-to-face with the powerful army chief at the reception following the ceremony.
Zardari and Kayani held informal talks on Pakistan-US relations and the country's economy during the meeting.
The two leaders discussed a parliamentary panel's recommendations for resetting Pakistan-US relations in the aftermath of last year's cross-border NATO air strike that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers, sources said.
Zardari and Kayani also discussed the country’s economy and recent parliamentary proceedings, the sources said.
The two had earlier met on January 14, in a move seen as an attempt to resolve the tense stand-off between the government and the powerful military.
Last week's meeting, which lasted for about an hour, was the first between the two since the memo scandal triggered tense confrontation between the two sides.
That meeting was followed by another one between Zardari and Gen Khalid Shameem Wynne, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee.
TV news channels today beamed footage of a smiling Zardari and Kayani shaking hands. Kayani was flanked by the navy and air force chiefs and Gen Wynne as he spoke to Zardari.
Zardari Meets Kayani Amid Political Crisis in Pak
Rezaul H Laskar/Islamabad
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Will It Be Nitish Kumar For The Fourth Time? Or Are There Cracks In His Citadel?
- 'Kah-Mah-Lah', Rival Senator Taunts Kamala Harris; Her Supporters Launch Online Campaign #MyNameIs
- Govt Vigilant In Safeguarding Every Inch Of India's Land: Amit Shah On India-China Standoff
- Heavy Overnight Downpour In Hyderabad Leaves Many Areas Flooded
- Shikhar Dhawan Strikes Maiden IPL Century To Prove Why He Is Gabbar Of Cricket
- Why Jofra Archer, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje Making IPL A Connoisseur’s Delight
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- COVID-19: India Reports 61,871 New Infections; Recovery Rate Up 88%
- PM Reviews Vaccine Delivery Plan
- Suspect In Gruesome Killing Of Teacher In France Was Chechen Teen
- President Trump Leans Into Fear Tactics In Bid To Win Midwest States
- Why Cricket's Superman And RCB Superstar AB De Villiers Is Human Too
- CSK Skipper MS Dhoni Says He Ran Out Of Bowling Options Vs Delhi Capitals
- Indigo Airlines Now Charge Rs 100 From Passengers For Checking In At Airports
- Sabarimala Opening May Stress Healthcare System: Kerala Health Min