A local court today granted more time to Zakia Jafri to file a protest petition challenging the Closure Report of the Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) which gave a clean chit to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi among others in the 2002 riot cases.
The court of metropolitan magistrate B J Ganatra today directed Zakia to either inform the court about the status of the Special Leave Petition (SLP) she had filed in the Supreme Court or file a protest petition by November 7.
Zakia, wife of former Congress MP Ehsan Zafri who was killed by a mob in Gulburg Society during 2002 riots, had sought more time to file the protest petition on the ground that her plea seeking clarification on certain issues has been pending with the Supreme Court.
The local court in its previous hearing on October 25 had reserved the order on Zakia's petition.
Zakia's counsel S M Vora had earlier argued that "past three orders of this court gave impression that our complaint was restricted only to the Gulberg Society massacre case whereas in fact we had complained about the role of the Chief Minister and others in the statewide riots."
"This had prompted us to move Supreme Court to seek clarification that its order on Zakia's case (ordering probe by SIT) was not only limited to Gulberg Society," he had said.
The SIT had opposed Zakia's plea on the ground that even though she had filed a petition, the apex court has not yet given any stay order on proceedings of this court.
The probe agency argued that Zakia should be directed to file her protest petition as soon as possible and not be granted additional time.
Zakia Jafri to File Protest Petition on 2002 Report by Nov 7
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- Mike Pence and Kamala Harris Battle It Out At The US Vice Presidential Debate
- ‘India’s Coronavirus Fight Is People Driven,’ Says PM Modi
- 'You Can't Stop Thefts Till Thieves Repent': R. Ashwin On 'Mankading'
- Victorian Ace: Dean Jones Was A True-Bred Australian Who Made Grit His Middle Name
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- China Will Pay A Big Price For Spreading Covid-19 Globally: Trump
- Wishes Pour In From PM Modi, President Kovind
- Batting Let Bowlers Down, Says CSK Skipper Dhoni After Yet Another Defeat
- Rhea Chakraborty Walks Out Of Byculla Jail After Bombay HC Grants Her Bail
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar Dies By Suicide
- Want To Cross Verify A Doctor's Credentials? Sorry, You Cannot
- Atal Tunnel: Himachal To Beef Up Security
- Clinical Tsitsipas Makes History