A local court today granted more time to Zakia Jafri to file a protest petition challenging the Closure Report of the Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) which gave a clean chit to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi among others in the 2002 riot cases.
The court of metropolitan magistrate B J Ganatra today directed Zakia to either inform the court about the status of the Special Leave Petition (SLP) she had filed in the Supreme Court or file a protest petition by November 7.
Zakia, wife of former Congress MP Ehsan Zafri who was killed by a mob in Gulburg Society during 2002 riots, had sought more time to file the protest petition on the ground that her plea seeking clarification on certain issues has been pending with the Supreme Court.
The local court in its previous hearing on October 25 had reserved the order on Zakia's petition.
Zakia's counsel S M Vora had earlier argued that "past three orders of this court gave impression that our complaint was restricted only to the Gulberg Society massacre case whereas in fact we had complained about the role of the Chief Minister and others in the statewide riots."
"This had prompted us to move Supreme Court to seek clarification that its order on Zakia's case (ordering probe by SIT) was not only limited to Gulberg Society," he had said.
The SIT had opposed Zakia's plea on the ground that even though she had filed a petition, the apex court has not yet given any stay order on proceedings of this court.
The probe agency argued that Zakia should be directed to file her protest petition as soon as possible and not be granted additional time.
Zakia Jafri to File Protest Petition on 2002 Report by Nov 7
THE LATEST ISSUE
- PM Modi 'Feels He Has It Under Control': Trump On Kashmir At G7 Summit
- INX Media Case: No Relief For Chidambaram, Court Extends CBI Custody By 4 Days
- PM Modi Made 'Historical Blunder' By Revoking Kashmir's Autonomy: Pak PM Imran Khan
- Sindhu's World Title Or Nehwal's Olympic Bronze – Which Is More Special For Coach Gopichand?
- RBI Approves Rs 1.76 Lakh Cr Transfer Of Surplus Reserves To Government
- Strong And Decisive Leadership May Not Help Always. It Can Cause More Damage Than Good
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Government Sacks 22 More Tax Officers For Graft, Misconduct
- Opposition Using 'Maarak Shakti...': Pragya Thakur On Death Of BJP Leaders -- Video
- Siddaramaiah Says K'taka Govt Will Not Last Long, Urges Congress To Prepare For Early Polls
- 'He Speaks Very Good English...': Prez Trump Shares Light Moment With PM Modi -- Video
- NHRC Sends Notice To UP Chief Secy Over Rotis With Salt Mid-Day Meal
- G7 Summit: India To Import More From US; Commerce Ministers To Hold Talks Over Trade Issues
- Sindhu To Receive Cash Reward For Stellar Showing At Badminton Worlds
- Sourav Ganguly Gives His Opinion On MS Dhoni's Imminent Retirement