BCCI Selection committee chairman Krishnamachari Srikkanth today hailed Yuvraj Singh's return to international cricket and said the left-hander will be an important factor for the Indian team's success in the upcoming Twenty20 World Cup.
"We are very happy that Yuvraj Singh has been declared fit. Yuvraj is a very crucial factor. If he gets going he can win matches single-handedly for us. Don't forget 2007 T20 World Cup (won by India in South Africa), he was the man of the series," Srikkanth said.
"In 2011 World Cup too, he was man of the series. We hope he continues in the same vein. And he has fought his way back. We really appreciate the kind of efforts put in by Yuvraj. He will be a great factor from Indian cricket's point of view.
"It is very good to see Yuvraj back with the Indian team starting with the World Cup T20. I am sure with this kind of combination that we have selected, we will definitely have a great chance of winning the T20 World Cup," he added.
About the Test selection, the former India captain insisted that the selected team was the best though there were hardly any changes from the squads, barring Rahul Dravid who has retired, that were whitewashed in England and Australia.
"We had a long discussion. What we have taken into account is the immediate, that is the New Zealand series and we thought the team we selected was the best. We want to get back into the winning ways," Srikkanth told reporters here.
Referring to the T20 World Cup to be held in Sri Lanka from September 18 to October 7, the former India opener said factors like mental strength and conditions that the team will encounter has been taken into consideration.
Yuvraj Can Single-Handedly Win Matches for Us: Srikkanth
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Spilling The Beans: How Murky Was Cafe Coffee Day Founder VG Siddartha's Death
- Sindhu Smashes Okuhara, 1st Indian To Win World Badminton Title
- Arun Jaitley Cremated With State Honours At Nigambodh Ghat In Delhi
- Shashi Tharoor Pens Tribute, Says Arun Jaitley Was Every Non-BJP Person’s Favourite BJP Person
- WI Vs IND, 1st Test, Day 4 LIVE: Rahane Departs; India's Lead Nears 400
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- PM Modi Arrives In France For G7 Summit, Will Speak On Global Issues
- Rahul Gandhi Shares Video Of Srinagar Visit, Attacks 'Draconian Administration' Of Jammu And Kashmir
- PM Modi Gives Nationwide Call To Observe September As 'Poshan Abhiyaan' Month
- ‘We Considered Ourselves Indians... But Now Govt Has Changed Everything’
- Watch: Kashmiri Woman Meets Rahul Gandhi On Flight From Srinagar, Shares J&K's Ordeal
- Stokes Sets Ashes On Fire As ENG Level Series
- Brazil Deploys 44,000 Troops To Fight Amazon Fires Amid International Outcry
- Pakistan Says Committed To Kartarpur Corridor Despite Tense Ties With India