YSR Congress Y S Vijaya today caused political flutters when she did not rule out the possibility of tying up with Congress in the future, but later toned down her remarks dismissing such an eventuality.
"The future will decide that," was the cryptic reply that Vijaya gave to PTI when she was asked about political speculation in this regard.
Asked specifically whether she would rule out the possibility of either YSRC's merger or alliance with Congress, she merely said the future would decide that.
However, with her remarks creating a major storm in Andhra politics, Vijaya issued a terse statement dismissing the party's merger or alliance with Congress.
"YSR Congress party rules out merger with Congress," the statement signed by Vijaya said.
Earlier, she had said, "Jagan has categorically said there will be not be any alliance with communal parties (read BJP)."
For long, the principal opposition Telugu Desam Party had been alleging that YSRC was into a "match-fixing" deal with the Congress and once Jagan was bailed out of the ongoing criminal cases, the two parties would become one.
Even today, TDP politburo member Yanamala Ramakrishnudu forecast that the YSR Congress would eventually merge with the Congress.
"Is it not a fact that Vijaya and Jagan entered into an agreement with the Congress to make Rahul Gandhi the Prime Minister in 2014? Why did Jagan and Vijaya not publicise the agreements they had with the Congress high command," Yanamala said in a statement.
Vijaya's ambivalent stand vis-a-vis the Congress only gives credence to the opposition's charge.
With her son and Kadapa MP lodged in jail as an undertrial in the disproportionate assets case, Vijaya has been holding fort of the 18-month-old party and taking on the Congress government in Andhra Pradesh through a series of agitation programmes on different issues.
Y S Vijaya Rules Out Merger With Cong After Creating Flutter
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Who Next? The Big Fear Troubling Congress After Chidambaram’s Arrest
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- Chidambaram Sent To CBI Custody Till August 26 In INX Media Case
- WADA Suspends India's National Dope Testing Laboratory
- Why Srinagar's High Profile Gupkar Road Is No More A Passage In Paradise
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- INX Media: The Case That Led To Chidambaram's Downfall
- Chidambaram Spends Night At CBI Headquarters Whose Inauguration He Attended In 2011
- Will Swap 100 Acres Of Land For Ravidas Temple Construction: Kejriwal After Protesters Swarm Delhi
- Badminton Worlds: Sindhu, Praneeth Enter Quarters; Srikanth, Prannoy Out
- Oil Companies Stop Fuel Supply To Air India At Six Airports Due To Non-payment Of Dues
- Live, West Indies v India, 1st Test, Day 1, Antigua
- Rajiv Gandhi Got Massive Mandate In 1984, But Didn’t Use It To Create Atmosphere Of Fear: Sonia Gandhi
- Demonising Modi All The Time Won't Help, It's Time We Recognise His Work: Jairam Ramesh