Mutthaida-e-Qaumi Movement (MQM), a key coalition partner in the PPP-led government, today lamented that women are "treated worse than animals" in Pakistan as the party held a massive rally in southern Sindh's provincial capital to highlight the need to empower them.
Thousands of women and girls in colourful dresses and waving the MQM flags thronged to the Bagh-e-Quaid Azam near the mausoleum of Pakistan's founding leader M A Jinnah.
Addressing the rally from London over phone, MQM chief Altaf Hussain, who has been in self exile in the UK, demanded more rights for Pakistani women.
"The world over women are considered equals in every sense. Unfortunately and sadly in Pakistan they continue to be treated worse than animals," Hussain said.
"Women in Pakistan are subjected to treatment meted out to second-or-third-class citizens. Worse, they are treated like animals. Crimes like honour killing, wani and marriage to the Quran are rampant under the veil of tradition," he lamented.
He mentioned honour killing, Karo Kari, acid crimes and domestic violence and even brought up topics like dowry and gender discrimination which are considered the social norm.
"The perpetrators of Karo Kari and acid crime should be hanged," Hussain said.
According to analysts, the rally in a country where women continue to be marginalised politically, was an attempt to attract women from the middle and lower classes in the country to the party fold.
He challenged the political and religious parties "to try to organize a rally of this magnitude". "Those talking about revolution should come and see this revolution of women," he said at the rally with the theme, 'Empowerment to women -- a better Pakistan'.
Women Treated Worse Than Animals in Pak: MQM
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly