Leading Bollywood actors were interested in participating in a US plan to use the influential Indian film industry to promote anti-extremist messages 'through third party actors,' according to a US embassy cable released by WikiLeaks.
The cable, sent by the London embassy on October 25, 2007, reported on a visit to Britain by two US officials, Farah Pandith, senior adviser for Muslim engagement, and Jared Cohen, described as 'S/P Member'.
Pandith was in 2009 appointed by the Obama administration as the Special Representative to Muslim Communities for the US Department of State.
The two officials visited Muslim areas in Leicester and other areas of Britain, and held wide-ranging discussions, including on involving Bollywood to promote anti-extremism message.
Due to the large presence of the Indian/Asian diaspora, Britain is one of the major markets for Bollywood films and has a significant following.
According to the cable available on The Guardian website, one of the meetings the two officials had was with individuals connected with the Indian film industry.
These included Director of Arts Versa Mohsin Abbas, Channel 4 TV Head of Multicultural Programming Farouk Dhondi, Producer Director Mahmood Jamal, Locations Manager Amjad Khan, and singer/actress Humeira Akhter, "who has strong links with top Bollywood actors/actresses".
The cable says: "On October 10, Pandith and Cohen met with a cross section of the South Asian community working in films to discuss the potential of working with the Indian film industry - Bollywood - on delivering an anti-terrorism message.
"A lively discussion produced a number of possible ideas, including developing ways to promote existing anti-terrorist films, and to develop funds for similar productions".
It adds: "Once such an anti-extremist genre is established, participants believed that major Bollywood figures would be willing to speak out on the issue."
"Humaira Akhtar has already gotten back to Pandith on possible stars in Bollywood interested in such a project".
The cable summary says: "Bollywood actors and executives agreed to work with the USG to promote anti-extremist messages through third party actors and were excited about the idea of possibly partnering with Hollywood as well".
The cable provides a detailed account of the officials' visit to the east Midlands city of Leicester, which has a large minority of Indian origin people.
The cable says: "One highlight of the visit was a day trip to Leicester, which Pandith said was arguably home to the most conservative Islamic population she had seen anywhere in Europe".
WikiLeaks: US Sought Bollywood Aid Against Extremism
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- BJP's Pramod Sawant To Be New Goa Chief Minister?
- Manohar Parrikar Cremated With Full Military, State Honours
- Bhim Army Won’t Ally With Congress At Any Cost: Chandrashekhar Azad
- BJD’s First List Of Candidates Is A Motley Mix Of Old And New Faces
- London Court Issues Arrest Warrant Against Nirav Modi: Officials
- New Zealand Massacre: Colonisation, Immigration, And White Man's Victimhood
- Solskjaer’s Magical Case For Manchester United Exceptionalism
- When Train 18 Tricked To Be Modi’s Bullet Train
- BJP Prefers Congress' Path In Kashmir Instead Of Vajpayee's
- The Old Gods And New: Vedas, Harappan And Indus Valley Civilisations
- From Real To Reel: The Cost Of Bollywoodizing Tragedies In Instaworld
- PM Narendra Modi Pays Last Respects To Manohar Parrikar In Goa
- 'Whose Chowkidari Has He Done?': Rahul Gandhi Mocks PM Modi's 'Main Bhi Chowkidar' Campaign
- Three Killed, Several Injured In Tram Shooting In Netherlands' Utrecht
- AAP Declares It Will File Corruption Complaint Against PM Modi In Lokpal
- Mindtree Looks At Buyback To Block L&T's Hostile Takeover Bid
- Priyanka Gandhi Kicks Off 2019 Lok Sabha Elections Campaign With Ganga Yatra In Prayagraj
- Congress Plans Pan-State Bus Ride Of Haryana Leaders To Unite Warring Factions Ahead Of LS Polls
- Ahead Of Elections, Sabarimala Presents Itself As a Political Fruit Ripe For Plucking