The West Bengal government would now allow expansion of existing domestic retail stores in the state on a "case-by-case" basis, Industry and Commerce minister Partha Chatterjee said.
Chatterjee told PTI that "existing stores in the state set up under brand names such as Big Bazaar, Spencer's and More would be allowed to function and would not be affected".
The West Bengal assembly today adopted a resolution against FDI and domestic capital in retail trade.
To a question, Chatterjee, who had moved the resolution against foreign and domestic players entering the retail shortly after TMC withdrew support to the UPA government, said "if these domestic players wanted to set up more stores in the state, then the government would see whether they were keen to sell vegetables and groceries only".
Under the existing formats of these stores, vegetables and groceries are sold in a separate department and other items like apparel and other household items also sold.
WB to Allow Expansion of Retail Stores Case-by-Case
THE LATEST ISSUE
- NEET Toppers: History Is Made As Two Students Score 100 Per Cent
- MI Vs KKR: Mumbai Whip Kolkata After De Kock, Rohit Blitz
- Rohtang Tunnel Leaves Filth In Its Wake
- EXCLUSIVE | Like TRPs, Is Indian Readership Survey Compromised Too?
- Vice President Lauds Outlook Poshan Campaign
- Why Jofra Archer, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje Making IPL A Connoisseur’s Delight
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Himachal’s Hathras: 3 Years On, Victim’s Parents Still Seek Justice
- KKR Weren't Even In The Race: Morgan
- How Will Liverpool React In Derby?
- After Tanishq Ad, Akshay Kumar’s Film Is Accused Of Promoting Love Jihad
- Farm Bills A False Experiment In The Name Of Agricultural Freedom
- Shatrughan Sinha Hopes To Avenge ‘Injustice’ In LS Polls Through His Son
- A Day After Gupkar Meet, Jammu Rally For Statehood
- COVID-19 Resulted In Largest Global Economic Contraction In 80 Years