West Bengal, with a three per cent share in IT exports in the country at present, is targetting to increase it to 25 per cent.
"We plan to increase our IT exports to 25 per cent, which stands at 3 per cent," IT Minister Partha Chatterjee told the Assembly today.
He said that the state received investment proposals of Rs 2,250 crore in the IT sector, of which Rs 1250 crore is by TCS at Rajarhat while Cognizant will put in Rs 300 crore at Bantala.
Chatterjee said that ITC Infotech which is coming to the state, will generate over 15,000 jobs while land for the project has been finalised.
He said that the Centre has approved setting up of the Indian Institute of Information Technology at Kalyani in Nadia district.
Stating that setting up of enterprises in niche sectors like web designing, animation film making and others will be promoted, he said "we are trying to provide the infrastructure for setting up such facilities.
"We are establishing IT hubs in every district of the state," he said and took a dig at the previous Left Front government saying that Rajarhat and Sector V of Salt Lake were not the only places in focus.
Replying to a question, he said that there were 500 IT companies employing 1,20,000 in the state.
He said that the state was establishing a number of IT hubs through Webel, a state-run IT infrastructure company, which would help small entrepreneurs.
WB Plans to Target 25% Share in IT Exports: Chatterjee
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Border Stand-Off 'Very Critical', Ties With China 'Profoundly Disturbed': S Jaishankar
- After KXIP Defeat Kohli's Royal Challengers Bangalore Wary Of Rajasthan Royals Threat
- Bengal BJP Chief Dilip Ghosh, Who Said ‘Corona Is Gone’, Tests Positive For Covid-19
- EXCLUSIVE | Like TRPs, Is Indian Readership Survey Compromised Too?
- Vice President Lauds Outlook Poshan Campaign
- Why Jofra Archer, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje Making IPL A Connoisseur’s Delight
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Sabarimala Temple Opens For Devotees After Over Six Months
- KKR Weren't Even In The Race: Morgan
- How Will Liverpool React In Derby?
- After Tanishq Ad, Akshay Kumar’s Film Is Accused Of Promoting Love Jihad
- NEET Toppers: History Is Made As Two Students Score 100 Per Cent
- Kolkata Fire: Two Dead, Including 12-Year-Old Boy
- Barack Obama To Campaign For Biden And Kamala Harris
- Rohtang Tunnel Leaves Filth In Its Wake