Yesteryear actress Waheeda Rehman will be the chief guest for the International Film Festival of Kerala (IFFK) beginning from December 10, organisers said today.
IFFK Chairman and Festival Director K R Mohanan said Rehman and German filmmaker Werner Herzog will be present as the guests for the inaugural ceremony at Thiruvananthapuram.
The eight-day festival has been organised by Kerala State Chalachithra Academy (KSCA).
Mohanan said that 14 films from Asia, Africa and Latin America will vie for the top awards during the festival.
He said the Suvarna Chakoram to be given to the best movie in the competition section will carry a cash award of Rs 15 lakh, which is to be shared between director and producer.
Rajat Chakoram and cash prize of Rs four lakh will be given to the best director, an another Rajata Chakoram and Rs 3 lakh for the best debut filmmaker, he added.
Mohanan said that in addition to this, Rajata Chakoram and Rs 2 lakh would be awarded as the audience prize.
He said that in a bid to promote Malayalam films, films in the language selected for the festival will be given cash grant of Rs one lakh, which is to be shared by the producer and director.
The KSCA will also make a new English subtitled print of each of the films which will be sent to other festivals.
"The films can be used for non-commercial screenings and preserved in the academy archives," Mohanan said adding that eight films have been selected in the Malayalam Cinema section.
The festival will also have a retrospective of well-known filmmaker Rainer Fassbinder.
Malayalam filmmaker in focus will be T V Chandran, while there will be focus on Central Asia and Black American filmmakers.
"Approximately 190 films will be screened at 10 theatres in the city," he said.
Mohanan said nearly 50 films from across the globe will be screened in the World Cinema section including Bertrand Tavernier's latest film Carlos, Copie Conforme by Abbas Kiarostami, Biutiful by Innarittu among others.
The festival will also have Apichatpong, Olivier Assayas and Maria Novaro from Mexico as the filmmakers in focus.
Waheeda Rehman to Be Chief Guest at IFFK
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Clueless Congress Stumbles From One Poll Defeat To Another
- Cong To Form Fact-Finding Team To Analyse Poll Debacle
- Corpses Found Floating In Ganga
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Himachal: Cyber Thugs Target Covid Patients With False Promises Of Hospital Beds, Remdesivir
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- In A First, An Independent Candidate In TN Releases Election Expenses
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- 'Sushil Has Tarnished Wrestling's Image,' LOC Served After Murder
- Virat Kohli, Ishant Sharma Get First Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine