Former Army Chief General V K Singh, who shared dais with both Anna Hazare and Yoga Guru Ramdev in their anti-corruption stir, today said if the right to recall of elected representatives is brought in then several politicians of the country will start feeling unsafe.
"Annaji demands right to recall...If it is brought, there are several politicians in the country who would start fearing because they do work only once...At the time of election, and then they forget things," he told reporters here.
"Along with this, there are lot of things which may improve the system, if implemented," he added.
Singh said he saw no difference between the agitations of Hazare and Ramdev hence he backed both. "I am with all those who aim to bring about a positive change in the country".
"Annaji effectively highlighted the issue of corruption and created awareness among masses while Ramdev is raising the issue of black money stashed in foreign banks which is also another important matter," Singh, who was in the city to meet Rajput leaders, said.
He, however, did not clear his stand over joining active politics. "Who knows what happens tomorrow. Today, I am talking about agitations by Hazare and Ramdev and will go to everyone who wishes to do something for the welfare of the nation".
Singh further said that there should be legitimate control of the civil government on armed forces but there should be no unnecessary interference in the forces' functioning.
About corruption in armed forces, he said, "when I took over, I had said that we need to focus on 'internal' health (of the force) and there would have been some reason behind that. Cases do come into light and every time I need not to say this. There were some factors which I tried to improve and I wish that such improvement should continue," he said.
Singh said that the level of tolerance was low in the younger generation as compared to seniors and it figures as one of the main reasons behind the cases of suicide in the force.
"A study found that cases of suicide were maximum at peace stations instead of field. Lack of tolerance level in the
younger generation is one of the main reasons behind the cases of suicide," he said.
The retired general also said that the ex-servicemen should also play an active role in bringing positive changes in society.
V.K. Singh Pitches for Right to Recall of Politicians
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly