The government today made it clear that the issuance of visa to former Pakistani cricketer Javed Miandad, a relative of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, did not reflect any change in status of the Mumbai serial bomb blasts case mastermind as far as India is concerned.
Miandad's son Junaid is married to Mahrukh, the daughter of Dawood, who is wanted in India in connection with the 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts case.
"There has not been any change as far as Dawood Ibrahim is concerned. His position remains exactly the same," a top government source said.
The remarks came amidst criticism by BJP and Shiv Sena over the issuance of visa to Miandad.
The source said Miandad, whose son married the fugitive terrorist's daughter, was not on India's negative list and added that he was given a visa in April, 2011 also.
However, he did not come last time. The former Pakistani captain has been granted an Indian visa that will allow him to watch the final one-dayer of the ongoing limited-over cricket series between the two countries in New Delhi on January 6.
However, Miandad cancelled his visit this time also.
According to Indian security agencies, Dawood is believed to be be staying in Karachi in Pakistan where he had fled to after the serial bomb blasts.
Asked why he gave visa to Miandad, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde shot back "I have not given visa. My officer or my mission must have given".
Visa to Miandad Doesn't Change Dawood's Status: Govt
THE LATEST ISSUE
- PM Modi 'Feels He Has It Under Control': Trump On Kashmir At G7 Summit
- INX Media Case: No Relief For Chidambaram, Court Extends CBI Custody By 4 Days
- PM Modi Made 'Historical Blunder' By Revoking Kashmir's Autonomy: Pak PM Imran Khan
- Sindhu's World Title Or Nehwal's Olympic Bronze – Which Is More Special For Coach Gopichand?
- RBI Approves Rs 1.76 Lakh Cr Transfer Of Surplus Reserves To Government
- Strong And Decisive Leadership May Not Help Always. It Can Cause More Damage Than Good
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Government Sacks 22 More Tax Officers For Graft, Misconduct
- Opposition Using 'Maarak Shakti...': Pragya Thakur On Death Of BJP Leaders -- Video
- Siddaramaiah Says K'taka Govt Will Not Last Long, Urges Congress To Prepare For Early Polls
- 'He Speaks Very Good English...': Prez Trump Shares Light Moment With PM Modi -- Video
- NHRC Sends Notice To UP Chief Secy Over Rotis With Salt Mid-Day Meal
- G7 Summit: India To Import More From US; Commerce Ministers To Hold Talks Over Trade Issues
- Sindhu To Receive Cash Reward For Stellar Showing At Badminton Worlds
- Sourav Ganguly Gives His Opinion On MS Dhoni's Imminent Retirement