Arrested terror suspect Viqaruddin Ahmed allegedly wanted to eliminate Sangh Parivar leaders and more policemen, accusing the Sangh leaders of being responsible for 2007 Mecca Masjid blast here and to avenge the killing of Muslims in police firing after the blasts, according to investigators.
Twenty-nine year old Viqaruddin Ahmed alias Viqar, who had remained elusive after attacking police personnel, in which two policeman were killed in Hyderabad city in December 2008 was arrested along with five of his associates from a location here on Wednesday.
Viqar was particularly angry over the incident that had unfolded soon after the Mecca Masjid blast on May 18, 2007, when the police opened fire on a mob, resulting in the death of five Muslims, a senior police officer said.
Nine persons lost their lives in the blast.
"I decided to take revenge against police personnel and to eliminate Sangh Parivar because I felt Sangh Parivar was responsible for the blast in Mecca Masjid," Viqar reportedly told investigators.
"Viqar treated the Sangh Parivar as the prime enemy. Besides, he wanted to kill more policemen as part of his further plans," the police officer told PTI.
The police officer further said Dr Mohammed Haneef, a native of Ahmedabad who later shifted to Hyderabad and became an active member of Tehreek-Gaiba-e-Islam (TGI) and was arrested along with Viqar, had aided Viqar in his activities besides sheltering him in Hyderabad as well as in Ahmedabad.
Investigators found that Haneef, who claimed to be a doctor, was actually a quack and allegedly obtained his BAMS degree through fake certificates from Ahmedabad and practised as a physician in Musheerabad here, the police officer said.
Viqar Wanted to Kill Sangh Parivar Leaders: Police
THE LATEST ISSUE
- PM Modi 'Feels He Has It Under Control': Trump On Kashmir At G7 Summit
- INX Media Case: No Relief For Chidambaram, Court Extends CBI Custody By 4 Days
- PM Modi Made 'Historical Blunder' By Revoking Kashmir's Autonomy: Pak PM Imran Khan
- Sindhu's World Title Or Nehwal's Olympic Bronze – Which Is More Special For Coach Gopichand?
- RBI Approves Rs 1.76 Lakh Cr Transfer Of Surplus Reserves To Government
- Strong And Decisive Leadership May Not Help Always. It Can Cause More Damage Than Good
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Government Sacks 22 More Tax Officers For Graft, Misconduct
- Opposition Using 'Maarak Shakti...': Pragya Thakur On Death Of BJP Leaders -- Video
- Siddaramaiah Says K'taka Govt Will Not Last Long, Urges Congress To Prepare For Early Polls
- 'He Speaks Very Good English...': Prez Trump Shares Light Moment With PM Modi -- Video
- NHRC Sends Notice To UP Chief Secy Over Rotis With Salt Mid-Day Meal
- G7 Summit: India To Import More From US; Commerce Ministers To Hold Talks Over Trade Issues
- Sindhu To Receive Cash Reward For Stellar Showing At Badminton Worlds
- Sourav Ganguly Gives His Opinion On MS Dhoni's Imminent Retirement