Indian writers like Vikram Seth, Mahasweta Devi and Manglesh Dabral are quite popular among book readers of Pakistan, writer-author from the neighbouring country Fahmida Riaz said.
"Vikram Seth is a popular name in Karachi. His book A suitable boy is taught in Karachi University," Riaz, who was here to participate in Patna Literature festival, told PTI.
Besides, Seth, the urdu version of Mahasweta Devi's Hindi book Hazare Chaurasi ki maa is widely read.
Books of Hindi writers like Manglesh Dabral, Uday Prakash and Vibhuti Narayan are also in great demand, Raiz said.
Riaz has lived in India from 1981 to 1987 in exile when Zia-ul-Haq was Pakistan President and got angry after reading her Bhagat Singh ki Murat (Statue of Bhagat Singh) dedicated to the revolutionary freedom fighter.
"Restriction imposed on movement of writers and artistes in the wake of tension between governments of the two countries is painful and people in our country are fed up," she added.
Riaz had served as the President of Pakistan Urdu Dictionary board during the PPP's (Peoples Party of Pakistan) rule.
She lamented that majority of literatures available in two countries were mostly found "biased" against each other to suit interest of the political class at the helm of affairs.
"Pakistan founder Mohammad Ali Zinnah has been portrayed as a demonic personality in India but in reality he was secular in nature.
The Pakistani literary fraternity favoured frequent interaction between art and cultural personalities between the two nations to ease tension and promote people-to-people contact", she added.
Vikram Seth, Mahasweta Devi Popular in Pak: Fahmida Riaz
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly