Indian writers like Vikram Seth, Mahasweta Devi and Manglesh Dabral are quite popular among book readers of Pakistan, writer-author from the neighbouring country Fahmida Riaz said.
"Vikram Seth is a popular name in Karachi. His book A suitable boy is taught in Karachi University," Riaz, who was here to participate in Patna Literature festival, told PTI.
Besides, Seth, the urdu version of Mahasweta Devi's Hindi book Hazare Chaurasi ki maa is widely read.
Books of Hindi writers like Manglesh Dabral, Uday Prakash and Vibhuti Narayan are also in great demand, Raiz said.
Riaz has lived in India from 1981 to 1987 in exile when Zia-ul-Haq was Pakistan President and got angry after reading her Bhagat Singh ki Murat (Statue of Bhagat Singh) dedicated to the revolutionary freedom fighter.
"Restriction imposed on movement of writers and artistes in the wake of tension between governments of the two countries is painful and people in our country are fed up," she added.
Riaz had served as the President of Pakistan Urdu Dictionary board during the PPP's (Peoples Party of Pakistan) rule.
She lamented that majority of literatures available in two countries were mostly found "biased" against each other to suit interest of the political class at the helm of affairs.
"Pakistan founder Mohammad Ali Zinnah has been portrayed as a demonic personality in India but in reality he was secular in nature.
The Pakistani literary fraternity favoured frequent interaction between art and cultural personalities between the two nations to ease tension and promote people-to-people contact", she added.
Vikram Seth, Mahasweta Devi Popular in Pak: Fahmida Riaz
THE LATEST ISSUE
- LJP Leader Ram Vilas Paswan Passes Away At The Age Of 74
- SRH Vs KXIP: Rashid Spins Hyderabad To Big Win After Warner-Bairstow Show
- Republic TV Among 3 Channels Being Probed For TRP Manipulation: Mumbai Police
- In Naveen’s Crosshairs: Vengeful Odisha Govt Goes After Leading Odia News Channel
- Victorian Ace: Dean Jones Was A True-Bred Australian Who Made Grit His Middle Name
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Development Of Ladakh Troubles China: Anurag Thakur
- Hathras Case: Accused Claims Victim's Family Was 'Against Our Friendship'
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar’s Suicide Note Hints At Depression
- French Open: Teen Sensation Swiatek Storms Into Maiden Grand Slam Final
- UP Police Violated SC Guidelines: Kerala Journalists Union
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- Bihar Elections: Owaisi, Kushwaha Float New Front Of Six Parties
- Rashid Reflects On Scoreboard Pressure