Veteran freedom fighters from Marathwada region gathered here last evening on the anniversary of the liberation struggle against Nizam's rule.
When India became independent in 1947, Marathwada region was still under Nizam's rule and it was on September 17 a year later that it was 'liberated' by Indian army troops, deployed at the behest of Sardar Patel.
The Hyderabad Police Action, code-named Operation Polo, was a military operation in which the Indian armed forces annexed the princely state of Hyderabad and ended the rule of the Nizam of Hyderabad.
Marathwada region now comprises eight districts Aurangabad, Nanded, Latur, Jalna, Beed, Parbhani, Osmanabad, and Hingoli.
Tara Laddha, who hoisted the national tricolour at Aurangabad on that historic day six decades ago, said the night prior to the army entering town was spent in 'sleepless apprehension that all of us would be killed by those loyal to Nizam'.
Gangaprasad Agrawal, who was part of the armed struggle against Nizam's police, said people were fed up with the atrocities committed under Nizam's rule.
Former MP Bapusaheb Kaldate recalled the tremendous popular the struggle against Nizam's regime received. Freedom fighter and Maharashtra Hybrid Seeds Company Limited (Mahyco) founder Badrinarayan Barwale said he was part of the team that was then trained by the Indian army in use of weapons.
"Once, when I came to know that a group of Muslims were about to be killed in a village, I rushed there and prevented it," he said.
Senior BJP leader Gopinath Munde, Sena leader Diwakar Raote and BJP MLA Pankaja Munde attended the function.
Veterans Recall Marathwada Liberation Struggle
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Delhi Police Release Photos Of Two Suspected Terrorists In City
- First Death Sentence Awarded In 1984 Anti-Sikh Riots Case; Life Term To Another
- Chilli Powder Thrown At CM Arvind Kejriwal Inside Delhi Secretariat
- At Least 55 Killed In Kabul Suicide Bombing
- Electoral Politics In India Will Never Be The Same Without Sushma Swaraj Contesting | Vani Tripathi
- Should Rahul Gandhi Say He Is Not A PM Candidate?
- How Calcutta Women Used Humour To Handle Sexual Harassment Before #MeToo
- Why Indian Railways Is Bad At Implementing Big-Ticket Projects
- Tamil Nadu: A State For Statues
- From Srinagar, A Tale Of 'Cabbage' And (W)Rath
- What Makes India Powerful, What Sort Of A Country We Want
- WATCH: BJP MLA Greeted With Garland Of Shoes In Poll-Bound Madhya Pradesh
- Chhattisgarh Assembly Elections: Over 60 Per Cent Voter Turn Out
- Twitter India Says Sorry After CEO Jack Dorsey Holds Poster Reading ‘Smash Brahminical Patriarchy’
- Viral Video: New Zealand Players Celebrate Thrilling Four-Run Win Over Pakistan With Bhangra Dance
- Political, Monetary Gains Were Dual Motives In Sohrabuddin's Killing: Investigating Officer To Court
- Sushma Swaraj Says Won’t Contest 2019 Lok Sabha Elections
- 1st T20I Preview: India Favourites Against Embattled Australia
- Tiger Mahavir Died Of Multiple Organ Failure, Says Post-Mortem Report