Veteran freedom fighters from Marathwada region gathered here last evening on the anniversary of the liberation struggle against Nizam's rule.
When India became independent in 1947, Marathwada region was still under Nizam's rule and it was on September 17 a year later that it was 'liberated' by Indian army troops, deployed at the behest of Sardar Patel.
The Hyderabad Police Action, code-named Operation Polo, was a military operation in which the Indian armed forces annexed the princely state of Hyderabad and ended the rule of the Nizam of Hyderabad.
Marathwada region now comprises eight districts Aurangabad, Nanded, Latur, Jalna, Beed, Parbhani, Osmanabad, and Hingoli.
Tara Laddha, who hoisted the national tricolour at Aurangabad on that historic day six decades ago, said the night prior to the army entering town was spent in 'sleepless apprehension that all of us would be killed by those loyal to Nizam'.
Gangaprasad Agrawal, who was part of the armed struggle against Nizam's police, said people were fed up with the atrocities committed under Nizam's rule.
Former MP Bapusaheb Kaldate recalled the tremendous popular the struggle against Nizam's regime received. Freedom fighter and Maharashtra Hybrid Seeds Company Limited (Mahyco) founder Badrinarayan Barwale said he was part of the team that was then trained by the Indian army in use of weapons.
"Once, when I came to know that a group of Muslims were about to be killed in a village, I rushed there and prevented it," he said.
Senior BJP leader Gopinath Munde, Sena leader Diwakar Raote and BJP MLA Pankaja Munde attended the function.
Veterans Recall Marathwada Liberation Struggle
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Bombay High Court Grants Bail to Rhea Chakraborty
- KKR Vs CSK: Former Champs Clash In Abu Dhabi
- Pro Pros And Cons: Publicists Face The Music As Drugs Scandal Hits Bollywood
- Aatma Nirbhar Bharat: A Salad Bowl Of Many Healthy Ideas, Some Of Them Incompatible
- The SSR Mega Serial: How TV Media Put Original Family Dramas To Shame
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Chirag Walkout: BJP Warns Of FIR Over Use Of PM Modi's Photo
- With EPS As CM Candidate, AIADMK Looks For Continuity
- Want To Cross Verify A Doctor's Credentials? Sorry, You Cannot
- AAP MLA Booked For Meeting Kin Of Hathras Victim After Testing Covid+
- Prashant Kishor’s Team Starts Feeling The Heat Of Infighting In The TMC
- India, Japan Sign Pact For Cooperation In 5G Tech, AI
- Rafa On Attack, Says It's The Only Way
- Steve Smith Fined Rs 12 Lakh