Veteran socialist leader Mani Ram Bagri, a close associate of Raj Narayan, who had played a leading role in the heady days before the fall of Janata Party government headed by Morarji Desai in the late 70s, died in Hisar today. He was 93.
A General Secretary of the Samyukta Socialist Party from 1972 to 1974 and later of Janata Party (S), Bagri was detained during emergency under the Maintenance of Internal Security Act.
The Morarji Desai government was followed by the Charan Singh government, which did not last long. Indira Gandhi later returned to power in the 1980s with a huge mandate.
He was elected to the third Lok Sabha, sixth Lok Sabha and the seventh Lok Sabha and was earlier a member of the un-divided Punjab legislative assembly from 1953 to 55.
Bagri participated in the national movement at a very young age and joined socialist movement led by Acharya Narendra Dev, Jaiprakash Narayan and Rammanohar Lohiya.
Veteran Socialist Leader Mani Ram Bagri Dead
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- No Ifs And Buts, Nitish Kumar Will Remain CM Even If We Win More Seats: BJP
- MI Vs RR LIVE: Two In Two For Gopal; Mumbai 88/3 (9.2)
- Court Awards Life Imprisonment To Four; Victim's Family Demands Death Penalty
- Congress Tractor Rally: Rahul Gandhi Allowed To Enter Haryana After High Drama
- In Den Of Match-Fixers, Why BCCI's Fraud Detecting System For IPL Still Has Holes
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- ‘It Is Not Fair To Blame All TV Channels Because Of One Or Two’
- Mumbai Court Extends Rhea Chakraborty's Judicial Remand
- Truce Is The Only Option For EPS And OPS
- Advancing Security In Indo-Pacific A Priority: Jaishankar At Quad Meeting
- French Open: Line Judge Deja Vu For Djokovic In Khachanov Win
- Nitish Kumar Announces NDA Seat Sharing Deal, JD(U) Gets 122, BJP 121
- Nowhere To Go: MCI Staff Told To Vacate Building
- CSK's Belief In Watson Surreal, But That's What Dhoni Is All About