The government has decided to enhance the security of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidate Varun Gandhi who is now on parole after being arrested for allegedly making speeches and inciting communal passion.
The decision comes in the wake of Gandhi's demand for more security, saying he was being targeted for 'speaking against terrorism'.
The 29-year-old leader will now be provided with two PSOs, one of whom will be armed with an automatic weapon, Union Home Ministry officials said.
Gandhi was an 'X' category (guarded by one PSO) protectee but security precautions were taken when he was arrested under the National Security Act (NSA) and shifted to an Etah jail from Pilibhit due to heightened threat perception.
Intelligence inputs suggested underworld don Chotta Shakeel may try to target him through his gunmen.
Officials informed that the Centre has also decided to provide him an escort vehicle during electioneering.
Gandhi, who is to make his electoral debut from Pilibhit Lok Sabha seat in Uttar Pradesh, was arrested on March 29 by Uttar Pradesh Police under the NSA for allegedly inciting communal tensions.
He was granted two weeks parole/interim bail on April 16 by the Supreme Court.
Varun Gandhi's Security Enhanced
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Can A Person Get Re-Infected After Recovering From Covid?
- What Makes Some Vaccinated People More Susceptible To Covid-19 Than Others? Experts Answer
- Panic In UP's Unnao After Bodies Found Buried In Sand Near Ganga
- Covaxin Receives Nod For Trials On Children Between 2-18 Age Group
- BJP's Political Messaging To No Avail: No Fresh Vegetables For Ladakh-Kargil For 4 Months
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Western Media Coverage Of Covid Crisis Raises Hackles Of Modi Govt
- PM Modi Missing Along With Vaccines, Oxygen, Medicines: Rahul Gandhi
- Covid: Planning To Buy Oximeter? Here’s What You Need To Know
- Govt Panel Suggests Increasing Gap Between Two Doses Of Covishield
- Independent Music Doing Well As Labels Are Promoting It: Sonu Nigam
- Know Why Using Right Glassware Is Important While Mixing Your Drink
- India Very Good At 'Niggling': Paine
- Atleti Edge Closer To La Liga Title