Uttarakhand assembly tonight passed a bill to set up a Lokayukta which brings in its net the post of the Chief Minister, ministers, MLAs and government servants including IAS and IPS officers with a provision of life imprisonment or more severe punishment.
After a marathon discussion, the House passed the Uttararakhand Lokayukta Bill, 2011, unanimously.
Chief Minister B C Khanduri said the Bill will go a long way in the fight against corruption.
Soon after being sworn in on September 11, Khanduri had vowed to set up the strong lokayukta within two months.
While the lower judiciary will be covered under the Lokayukta, judges of the Uttarakhand High Court will not be under the purview of the anti-corruption ombudsman which is a mixture of Lokpal draft of Anna Hazare and others.
Former chief ministers, former ministers and retired officers will also be under the purview of the Lokayukta.
The Lokayukta would consist of a chairperson and five members with a scope of increasing the number to seven as per the need and requirement.
However, consent of all the members is needed to initiate investigations.
The Bill envisages that the members of the Lokayukta should have legal background and should be persons of impeccable integrity and outstanding ability and chairperson of eminence in public life with extraordinary ability.
The term of the chairperson of the Lokayukta would be of five years or upto the age of 70 years which ever is earlier.
After completion of investigations, the chargesheet will be filed by the Lokayukta in a special court established under the Prevention of Corruption Act for speedy trial.
The period of investigation as far as possible should not extend beyond twelve months, the bill said.
After the completion of investigation in any case, the Lokayukta shall have the power to recommend punishment of dismissal, removal or reduction in rank against government servants after giving them full opportunities of being heard.
The recommendation shall be binding on the appointing or disciplinary authority of the government.
For any act of corruption, the punishment shall not be less than six months of rigorous imprisonment and may extend upto the imprisonment of ten years.
In the rarest of rare case, the punishment may be extended upto life imprisonment.
The special court may take into consideration the higher rank of an accused person to inflict a more severe punishment than the life imprisonment, the Bill said.
Team Anna tonight said the Lokayukta Bill passed by Uttarakhand Assembly is "in full spirit of Jan Lokpal Bill".
"Congratulations. Uttrakhand is the first state which has passed a Lokayukta Bill unanimously in the Assembly. It's in full spirit of Jan Lokpal Bill," Team Anna member Kiran Bedi said.
Uttarakhand Assembly Passes Lokayukta Bill
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Arun Jaitley, Former Union Minister And Senior BJP Leader, Dies At 66
- BJP's Indispensable Man, A Raconteur And Mentor: Arun Jaitley Was All These And Much More
- How Arun Jaitley Played A Key Role In Making Nitish Kumar The Bihar CM
- UAE's Highest Civilian Award For Modi, Egg On Pakistan's Face
- MSD: Three Musketeers Who Engineered Kashmir's Bloodless Coup, But Are Their Plans Sustainable?
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- 'What Is Modi Govt Trying To Hide?' Says Congress After Rahul Gandhi-Led Delegation Denied Entry In J&K
- 'Political Giant, Towering Intellectual, Legal Luminary': PM Modi's Tribute To Arun Jaitley
- Naresh Goyal Created Tax Evading Schemes To Siphon Off Funds Abroad: ED
- PV Sindhu Progresses To Final At Badminton Worlds
- India Has Lost An Outstanding Parliamentarian: Ex-PM Manmohan Singh Condoles Arun Jaitley's Death
- Durand Final: Joseph-Inspired Gokulam Stun Bagan To Lift Trophy
- Why Is Part Of The Amazon Burning?
- PM Modi Defends Article 370 Move In UAE, Says It Ends 'Isolation' Of J&K Which Was Radicalising Youths