US will hit al-Qaeda targets anywhere in the world, including in countries unable or unwilling to act themselves, top White House counter-terrorism adviser John Brennan has said.
The use of military force against al-Qaeda is not restricted only to hot battlefields like Afghanistan, Brennan declared in a lecture at the Harvard law school, adding that US can take pre-emptive action against suspects who pose an imminent threat to it, anywhere in the world.
Laying out what he called the Osama bin Laden raid doctrine, Brennan said that under international law US has the right to take pre-emptive action whenever it foresaw any threat to it, the New York Times reported.
Brennan said America's anti-terror campaign must go beyond Afghanistan, but legal curbs could out constraints.
America's right to unilateral action, he said, does not mean that US would use military force indiscriminately. "International legal principles including respect for states' sovereignty impose constraints on our ability.
The paper quoted official as saying that Obama team was divided on the legal leeway the US had in killing Islamists militants in Yemen and Somalia.
NYT said the discussions pivotal to the future course of anti-terror fight centred on the extent to which Washington could escalate drone strikes, cruise missiles or commando raids from current high-value al-Qaeda targets to hit thousands of extremists foot soldiers.
Brennan also sharply criticised a proposal in the Senate version of the 2012 defence authorisation bill that would require terrorism suspects arrested inside the US to be transferred to military custody.
Calling the idea a non-starter, he said, the White House would fight the proposal vigorously.
US Will Hit Al-Qaeda Targets Anywhere: Brennan
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hathras Case: FSL Report Contains No Value, Says Aligarh CMO
- KXIP Vs CSK: Faf, Watson Crush Punjab
- Noida Police Apologises For Manhandling Priyanka Gandhi, Orders Probe
- BJP Leader Shot Dead In West Bengal, BJP Demands CBI Inquiry
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- It’s Been A Very Interesting Journey: Donald Trump on Covid-19
- LJP Goes Solo In Bihar Polls
- Hathras: Chandrashekhar Meets Family
- Pandey's Stunning Take Is A Thing Of Beauty
- Hathras Case: UP Police Lathicharges RLD Leader, Party Stages Protest
- PM Modi A Puppet In Hands Of Ambani-Adani: Rahul Gandhi At Tractor Rally
- Fifty Years Of Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri
- Man Utd 1-6 Spurs: Red Devils Suffer Joint-record Home Defeat