Adopting a tough stance against Pakistan, a top Republican Senator has charged its intelligence agency with continuing to support the Haqqani network and other terrorist groups.
"Pakistan's intelligence agency continues to support the Haqqani Network and other terrorist groups that are killing US and Afghan forces in Afghanistan, and the vast majority of the material used to make improvised explosive devices originates from two fertilizer factories in Pakistan," Senator John McCain said.
The Republican presidential candidate in 2008 election, McCain said all Americans are deeply saddened by the tragic loss of Pakistani soldiers in cross-border air attack.
"I fully support NATO's commitment to investigate this tragedy thoroughly and immediately. It's important to note that certain facts in Pakistan continue to complicate significantly the ability of coalition and Afghan forces to succeed in Afghanistan," he said.
Later in an interview to Fox Business, McCain noted that Pakistan has every reason to be angry at the killing of its troops, but argued that such things do happen in war.
At the same time, the Senator stressed that the US too was angry with Pakistan on a number of issues.
"I think they should be angry whenever something like that happens and it's a tragedy and we have expressed our condolences and the military commander there, and our ambassador and everybody and we here regret it enormously.
"But the fact is, we are in a war, these things happen in wars, as tragic as it is. We also have many reasons to be very unhappy with what the Pakistanis have been doing, including the ISI, their intelligence group, supporting the Haqqani network who are killing Americans," McCain said.
US Angry at ISI Continued Support to Haqqanis: McCain
Lalit K Jha/Washington
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hathras Case: Forensic Report That Denied Rape Contains No Value, Says Aligarh CMO
- KXIP Vs CSK: Faf, Watson Crush Punjab
- Noida Police Apologises For Manhandling Priyanka Gandhi, Orders Probe
- BJP Leader Shot Dead In West Bengal, BJP Demands CBI Inquiry
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- It’s Been A Very Interesting Journey: Donald Trump on Covid-19
- LJP Goes Solo In Bihar Polls
- Hathras: Chandrashekhar Meets Family
- Pandey's Stunning Take Is A Thing Of Beauty
- Hathras Case: UP Police Lathicharges RLD Leader, Party Stages Protest
- PM Modi A Puppet In Hands Of Ambani-Adani: Rahul Gandhi At Tractor Rally
- Fifty Years Of Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri
- Man Utd 1-6 Spurs: Red Devils Suffer Joint-record Home Defeat