Agitated by the change in name of the district from Bheemnagar to Sambhal, people today indulged in brick batting and damaged a bus after which police resorted to lathicharge in Bahjoi town.
People blocked the national highway and when police attempted to clear the road, they pelted stones and damaged a roadways bus, Superintendent of Police Tehsildar Singh said.
To disperse the mob, he said, police used mild force and the situation was brought under control.
Police said markets remained closed on the call given by Zila Bachao Samiti, which demanded that the district be named after its temporary headquarters Bahjoi instead of Sambhal.
On Monday Uttar Pradesh government had changed the names of eight districts which had been renamed by the previous Mayawati regime.
The decision in this regard was taken at a cabinet meeting on Monday chaired by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Nagar would be known as Amethi and Rambai Nagar will be called Kanpur Dehat.
The names of Bheem Nagar, Prabuddha Nagar and Pancheel Nagar were changed to Sambhal, Shamli and Hapur, respectively, they said.
Similarly, names of Kanshiram Nagar, Mahamaya Nagar and J P Nagar were changed to Kasganj, Hathras and Amroha, respectively.
UP: Protest in Sambhal Over Change of District's Name
THE LATEST ISSUE
- CJI To Consider Chidambaram's Case For Urgent Listing; ED Issues Lookout Notice
- US President Donald Trump Offers To Mediate Kashmir Issue Again, Says It's 'Complicated Place'
- Public Transport Resumes In Parts Of Kashmir, Students Still Stay Away From Schools
- LeT Militant, Police Officer Killed In Encounter In Jammu And Kashmir's Baramulla
- 'Hunted Down' For Speaking Truth 'Inconvenient To Cowards': Priyanka Gandhi Backs Chidambaram
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- The Little Sleep I Get Is Filled With Nightmares About Home: Kashmiri Living In Delhi On J&K
- '... Await The Mentioned Hearing': Chidambaram's Lawyer Tells CBI After Moving SC
- Ahead Of DU's Student Union Polls, ABVP Amid Criticism Installs Savarkar's Statue Outside Campus
- 63 Dead This Monsoon Season In Rain-Ravaged Himachal Pradesh
- Mumbai Terror Attack Mastermind Hafiz Saeed Challenges His Arrest In Pakistan Court
- Pakistan Says Will Approach ICJ Over India's Move On Kashmir
- Ahead Of State Polls, Amit Shah Holds Meet With BJP Leaders, Assigns Them Key Roles
- Competition In Test Cricket Has Increased: Kohli
- Preview: Ashes, 3rd Test, ENG Vs AUS