Agitated by the change in name of the district from Bheemnagar to Sambhal, people today indulged in brick batting and damaged a bus after which police resorted to lathicharge in Bahjoi town.
People blocked the national highway and when police attempted to clear the road, they pelted stones and damaged a roadways bus, Superintendent of Police Tehsildar Singh said.
To disperse the mob, he said, police used mild force and the situation was brought under control.
Police said markets remained closed on the call given by Zila Bachao Samiti, which demanded that the district be named after its temporary headquarters Bahjoi instead of Sambhal.
On Monday Uttar Pradesh government had changed the names of eight districts which had been renamed by the previous Mayawati regime.
The decision in this regard was taken at a cabinet meeting on Monday chaired by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Nagar would be known as Amethi and Rambai Nagar will be called Kanpur Dehat.
The names of Bheem Nagar, Prabuddha Nagar and Pancheel Nagar were changed to Sambhal, Shamli and Hapur, respectively, they said.
Similarly, names of Kanshiram Nagar, Mahamaya Nagar and J P Nagar were changed to Kasganj, Hathras and Amroha, respectively.
UP: Protest in Sambhal Over Change of District's Name
THE LATEST ISSUE
- BJP Releases First List Of 182 Candidates For Lok Sabha Polls, PM Modi To Contest From Varanasi
- Will Jet Airways Survive The Financial Turbulence?
- Kashmir Police Shift ‘Custodial Killing’ Probe Case To Pulwama; Extensive Injuries Seen On Body
- Jailed Manipur Journalist Kishorechandra Wangkhem Seriously Ill
- #ElectionsOutlook: For In-Depth News, Views And Analysis
- Tarun Gogoi Ko Gussa Kyon Aata Hain
- Kohli Is Already An Era-Defining Genius, Don't Read Further
- With Teni Da's Demise, Comes An End Of An Era In Bengali Films
- New Zealand Massacre: Colonisation, Immigration, And White Man's Victimhood
- Solskjaer’s Magical Case For Manchester United Exceptionalism
- When Train 18 Tricked To Be Modi’s Bullet Train
- At Least 40 Dead As Overloaded Ferry Sinks In Tigris Near Mosul, Iraq
- Nothing Friendly About 'Friendly Contest' Between NC And Congress In Kashmir
- 'Proud Day For Criminal justice System': Kapil Sibal's Sarcastic Jibe On Samjhauta Blast Case
- 6 Days After Christchurch Attack, New Zealand PM Announces Ban On Assault Rifles
- Encounter Underway Between Militants And Security Forces In Jammu And Kashmir's Baramulla
- Chhattisgarh A Hard Fort To Conquer For BJP
- Pakistani Student Stabs Professor To Death For 'Anti-Islam' Comments, 'Promoting Obscenity'
- Two Policemen Injured In Grenade Attack In Jammu And Kashmir's Sopore