Agitated by the change in name of the district from Bheemnagar to Sambhal, people today indulged in brick batting and damaged a bus after which police resorted to lathicharge in Bahjoi town.
People blocked the national highway and when police attempted to clear the road, they pelted stones and damaged a roadways bus, Superintendent of Police Tehsildar Singh said.
To disperse the mob, he said, police used mild force and the situation was brought under control.
Police said markets remained closed on the call given by Zila Bachao Samiti, which demanded that the district be named after its temporary headquarters Bahjoi instead of Sambhal.
On Monday Uttar Pradesh government had changed the names of eight districts which had been renamed by the previous Mayawati regime.
The decision in this regard was taken at a cabinet meeting on Monday chaired by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Nagar would be known as Amethi and Rambai Nagar will be called Kanpur Dehat.
The names of Bheem Nagar, Prabuddha Nagar and Pancheel Nagar were changed to Sambhal, Shamli and Hapur, respectively, they said.
Similarly, names of Kanshiram Nagar, Mahamaya Nagar and J P Nagar were changed to Kasganj, Hathras and Amroha, respectively.
UP: Protest in Sambhal Over Change of District's Name
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Union Minister M J Akbar Resigns Over #MeToo Allegations, Says Will Challenge 'False Accusations'
- As Stubble Burning Continues, Delhi's Air Quality Turns 'Poor'
- Sabarimala Temple Row: Section 144 Imposed In Four Places Of Kerala
- Delhi Court To Hear M J Akbar's Criminal Defamation Case Against Priya Ramani Today
- 7-Year-Old Girl Returning Home From School Raped In Haryana's Rewari
- Durga Puja In Calcutta A Parable Of Life
- M J Akbar Should Be Fired Rather Than Being Allowed To Resign
- Why Kishore Kumar Declined A Cover Version Of His Idol KL Saigal's Songs
- Health Hazards Caused By Contaminated Water Supply In Indian Railways
- BJP Is Unlikely To Flaunt Its Economic Record In 2019 Election Campaign
- Stinking Toilets In Trains: Blame It On Passengers
- 'Will Challenge False Accusations Levied Against Me': Full Text Of MJ Akbar's Resignation
- Demanding VAT Cut, Delhi Petrol Pumps Call For Shut Down On October 22-23
- Security Tightened In Surat After Bihar Migrant Labourer Named In Minor Girl's Rape, Murder
- Asian Champions Trophy: India Open Title Defence With Oman Clash
- Meet Reshma Nishanth Who Wants To Become One Of The First Women To Enter Sabarimala
- #MeToo | Vinta Nanda Files Police Complaint Against Alok Nath
- Hyatt Gun Row: Ashish Pandey Threatened To Kill Me, Victim Tells Police
- In Pics: PM Narendra Modi Meets Asian Para Games 2018 Medallists