The Uttar Pradesh government today ordered a probe into the reports that former state minister Amarmani Tripathi, the main convict in the Madhumita Shukla murder case, had been missing from Varanasi jail since the past one-and-a-half month.
Special DG, Brij Lal said that Tripathi has been missing from the jail since July 13 after he had been allowed by the court to attend his mother's cremation in Gorakhpur.
"A strong view has been taken on Tripathi getting himself admitted to hospital without any information and all those found responsible for it would be punished after the inquiry," Lal said.
According to officials, two days after he was allowed to go to Gorakhpur, Tripathi had got himself admitted to Gorakhpur Medical College hospital without informing the jail administration.
Later on September 3, he got himself admitted to the general ward of the neurology department of the Kashi Hindu University hospital, they said.
However, Senior Superintendent of Central Jail Varanasi, Capt S K Pandey said Tripathi has been discharged from the hospital and he was being brought back to jail.
Tripathi, his wife Madhumani and two others were convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment by a Dehradun court in the murder case of poetess Madhumita Shukla in Lucknow in May 2003.
UP: Probe Ordered into Amarmani's Absence From Jail
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Explained: What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- The Shadow Of Satellite On Negroponte Switch
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly