The Uttar Pradesh government today ordered a probe into the reports that former state minister Amarmani Tripathi, the main convict in the Madhumita Shukla murder case, had been missing from Varanasi jail since the past one-and-a-half month.
Special DG, Brij Lal said that Tripathi has been missing from the jail since July 13 after he had been allowed by the court to attend his mother's cremation in Gorakhpur.
"A strong view has been taken on Tripathi getting himself admitted to hospital without any information and all those found responsible for it would be punished after the inquiry," Lal said.
According to officials, two days after he was allowed to go to Gorakhpur, Tripathi had got himself admitted to Gorakhpur Medical College hospital without informing the jail administration.
Later on September 3, he got himself admitted to the general ward of the neurology department of the Kashi Hindu University hospital, they said.
However, Senior Superintendent of Central Jail Varanasi, Capt S K Pandey said Tripathi has been discharged from the hospital and he was being brought back to jail.
Tripathi, his wife Madhumani and two others were convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment by a Dehradun court in the murder case of poetess Madhumita Shukla in Lucknow in May 2003.
UP: Probe Ordered into Amarmani's Absence From Jail
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus: Cases In India Rise To 468; 19 States, UTs Under Lockdown
- Shivraj Singh Chouhan Sworn In As Madhya Pradesh CM
- All Domestic Flights Suspended From Wed To Contain Coronavirus Spread
- Loyalty Test: Time For Indian Businesses To Fund Fight Against Coronavirus
- Curfew Passes To Be Necessary For Travel Between Delhi, Neighbouring Areas
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Sensex Plummets 3,900 Pts, Ends Below 26,000; Nifty Inches Towards 7,500
- Vaccine Trials To Fight Coronavirus Offer Hope, Could Be Harbinger Of New Technology
- Coronavirus: Curfew Imposed In Maharashtra From Midnight, Says Uddhav
- Coronavirus: Punjab Imposes Curfew To Enforce Total Lockdown
- AIIMS To Shut Down OPD From March 24 As Coronavirus Cases Surge
- ICMR Recommends Hydroxychloroquine For Healthcare Workers Tackling Covid-19 Patients
- Coronavirus: Postponement Of Tokyo Olympics Inevitable – IOC Official
- Health Insurance Policies For Cricketers, Officials Cover COVID-19 Too: CAB