Under Election Commission orders, the Uttar Pradesh administration today started draping statues of Chief Minister Mayawati and the ruling BSP's symbol in Noida even as an official declared that it would be done fully in Lucknow tomorrow.
Lucknow District Magistrate Anil Sagar said, "I have got the EC orders and it will be fully executed tomorrow."
The work is likely to be executed by the Lucknow Development Authority (LDA).
Official sources said the statues of BSP's symbol, elephants, constructed under a fountain in Samajik Parivartan Sthal at Gomti Nagar in Lucknow were covered this afternoon, though some BSP activists removed the veil within minutes and left the place.
The EC had yesterday ordered that all statues of Mayawati and her party symbol installed at several places in UP be covered until the Assembly poll were over in the state.
One of the places where the covering of the statues has begun is the controversial Noida memorial park on the Delhi's outskirts that was inaugurated by Mayawati in October last year amid much fanfare.
The memorial, which drew much criticism from political parties across the spectrum, is meant to honour Dalit icons and has over two dozen huge statues of Mayawati, her mentor Kanshi Ram and B R Ambedkar, among others.
Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi had said the directive should be implemented "at the earliest" as the matter related to the model code of conduct.
The ruling BSP has termed the order as "one-sided and against natural justice".
Taking exception to the EC's order, JD-U and CPI said it will give rise to several complications.
In the 2004 Lok Sabha elections, then Prime Minister A B Vajpayee's photograph on billboards across the country on the Golden Quadrilateral National Highway were covered by cloth in line with the poll panel's directive.
Up Govt Starts Veiling Mayawati Statues
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 31 People Dead In Rain-Related Incidents In Telangana, AP, Maharashtra
- Mehbooba Mufti To Attend Meeting Of Gupkar Declaration Signatories
- India Remembers Its Beloved President Abdul Kalam On His 89th Birth Anniversary
- DC Vs RR: Delhi Choke Rajasthan After Dhawan, Iyer Fifties
- The Lonely Trek To Kashmir's Peaks
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Life Is Not Rocket Science: Abdul Kalam Finally Tells His Story
- JDS Leader HD Kumaraswmay Attacks Congress
- SP Leader Mulayam Singh Yadav Tests COVID Positive
- When We Return To Power, Will Put Back Sonia's Plaque At Tunnel: Himachal Cong Leader
- We Are Looking At Various Promotions To Attract Viewers: Sanjeev Bijli Of PVR
- Shotgun's Actor-Son Luv Sinha To Contest From Patna On Cong Ticket
- Nortje Bowls Fastest Delivery In IPL
- Kagiso Rabada Reserves Special Praise For Debutant Tushar Deshpande