Income tax raids on residences and business establishments of Malayalam superstars Mammootty and Mohanlal have revealed undisclosed assets worth about Rs 30 crore, a top I-T official said today.
"Inquiries so far have indicated undisclosed assets worth approximately Rs 30 crore," E T Lukose, Director General of Income Tax (Investigation), Kochi said in a statement here.
Cash and jewellery amounting to Rs 2.8 crore were seized during simultaneous raids at their residences and business premises across Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka on July 22.
For over a decade, the film field had not been investigated, IT sources said.
According to Lukose, the searches have concluded and preliminary post search inquiries have been initiated. The undisclosed income earned was found to have been invested in real estate and assets abroad, he said.
Inquiries with banks within and abroad were being conducted. Investments in immovable and movable properties made in foreign countries are also being investigated through appropriate channels. Undisclosed cash deposits in bank accounts are being tabulated, he said.
Mohanlal's huge collection of valuable antiques and priceless paintings have been referred to experts for valuation.
Lukose said post search inquiries are in progress. A report containing findings of the inquries and quantum of undisclosed income estimated would be prepared by the investigation wing within 2 months. Further assessment proceedings would be initiated, he said.
In the 2011-12 fiscal, 12 searches have been conducted in Kerala till date in different cases.
The Directorate of Income Tax (Investigation), Kochi, had conducted 23 searches in 2010-11 fiscal when undisclosed cash amounting to Rs 13.80 crore and undisclosed income of Rs 90 crore were detected.
Undisclosed Assests Found With Mohanlal, Mammootty
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly