Income tax raids on residences and business establishments of Malayalam superstars Mammootty and Mohanlal have revealed undisclosed assets worth about Rs 30 crore, a top I-T official said today.
"Inquiries so far have indicated undisclosed assets worth approximately Rs 30 crore," E T Lukose, Director General of Income Tax (Investigation), Kochi said in a statement here.
Cash and jewellery amounting to Rs 2.8 crore were seized during simultaneous raids at their residences and business premises across Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka on July 22.
For over a decade, the film field had not been investigated, IT sources said.
According to Lukose, the searches have concluded and preliminary post search inquiries have been initiated. The undisclosed income earned was found to have been invested in real estate and assets abroad, he said.
Inquiries with banks within and abroad were being conducted. Investments in immovable and movable properties made in foreign countries are also being investigated through appropriate channels. Undisclosed cash deposits in bank accounts are being tabulated, he said.
Mohanlal's huge collection of valuable antiques and priceless paintings have been referred to experts for valuation.
Lukose said post search inquiries are in progress. A report containing findings of the inquries and quantum of undisclosed income estimated would be prepared by the investigation wing within 2 months. Further assessment proceedings would be initiated, he said.
In the 2011-12 fiscal, 12 searches have been conducted in Kerala till date in different cases.
The Directorate of Income Tax (Investigation), Kochi, had conducted 23 searches in 2010-11 fiscal when undisclosed cash amounting to Rs 13.80 crore and undisclosed income of Rs 90 crore were detected.
Undisclosed Assests Found With Mohanlal, Mammootty
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hateras And Us: Dalit Death Symptom Of Graver Malaise
- Lalu Prasad Yadav Granted Bail In Fodder Scam Case, But To Remain In Jail
- SRH Vs KXIP: Rashid Khan Reflects On Damage Scoreboard Pressure Can Do
- If There’s Evidence Of TRP Manipulations, I&B Ministry Can Cancel Channel's Licence: Manish Tewari
- Staff Crunch Halts Airing Of Modi's Mann Ki Baat In 10 Countries
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- RBI Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged At 4%, Says Governor Shaktikanta Das
- Rs 10 Crore Fine Ready, Sasikala May Walk Out Of Jail Any Time Now: Lawyer
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar’s Suicide Note Hints At Depression
- French Open: Teen Sensation Swiatek Storms Into Maiden Grand Slam Final
- How Ram Vilas Paswan's Death May Impact Bihar Assembly Elections
- 'BJP To Rule For 30-Years, If People Hang Vivekananda's Picture:' Biplab
- Republic TV Among 3 Channels Being Probed For TRP Manipulation
- Cricket Australia Should Not Bow Down To BCCI: Allan Border Slams CA