Prime Minister of the Tibetan government-in-exile today said the assurance by UN that it would send special rapporteur to probe the situation in Tibet is an "acknowledgement of a very grim situation and a sign of support for the truth and just cause of Tibet."
Addressing a joint press conference by the Tibetan Parliament and the Kashag, Kalon Tripa Dr Lobsang Sangay said, "The assurance given by the UN that it will try to send a special rapporteur to Tibet to assess the actual situation there is an acknowledgement of a very grim situation."
Three Tibetans, who were on a hunger strike outside the UN headquarters for the past one month, ended their protest yesterday after assurances from the world body that it will probe the situation in Tibet.
"From news accounts that we have read, the Australian Ambassador in China has requested the Chinese foreign ministry to allow access to Tibet to probe the situation," the Kalon Tripa said.
These two events have given hope to Tibetans that they will get what they deserve, he said.
Sangay said, repeated appeals have been made by the Tibetan Parliament, the Kashag, and many NGOs to the UN to send a special rapporteur or an envoy to Tibet to investigate the ground reality there.
At least 30 Tibetans have self-immolated for the cause of a free Tibet, of which 22 have died and many are in critical condition, he said.
UN Acknowledged Grim Situation in Tibet: Exile PM
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- 'Have Lost Courage’: YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- As India Battles The Virus, Let Us Not Weaken National Resolve
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- T20 World Cup Could Be Postponed Or Shifted From India: Ian Chappell