In Uttarakhand, which is traditionally used to a direct fight between BJP and Congress, the high number of rebels and independents have upset the calculation of the two big players.
With nearly 800 candidates contesting the 70 seats, the presence of an extra candidate, even if it is a rebel does not bother many, but in some key contests it is the rebel who could tilt the balance.
At the Badrinath Assembly seat, when the party decided to allot its ticket to Prem Vallabh Bhatt, it was its sitting MLA Kedar Sigh Phonia who did not take it lying down and went ahead to file his nomination on a ticket of regional party Uttarakhand Raksha Morcha.
A similar step was taken by Anil Nautiyal, the BJP's sitting MLA from Karnprayag whom many even considered close to former Chief Minister Dr Ramesh Pokhriyal.
Nautiyal who had won the seat for the last two consecutive terms is now expected to compound the worries of party's official nominees Harish Poojary.
In Thrali constituency in Chamoli district, sitting MLA G L Shah has also joined the ranks of BJP after he was denied ther ticket in favour of Magan Lal Saha.
The Congress candidate Jeetram Lal can expect some benefit from Saha's presence but another independent Mahesh Trikoti would dent his votes as well.
Ram Kumar, the BJP's sitting MLA from Sahaspur has filed his nomination from Urola constituency completing the quarted of sitting BJP MLAs who have rebelled.
Apart from them, former MLA Kailash Sharma has also filed the nomination from Almora against the party's official candidate and sitting MLA Raghunath Singh.
"The rebels may do some damage but out party had conducted a survey before the elections that showed them doing badly which has resulted in tickets being denied to them," a BJP worker said.
The Congress' plate of worries is also quiet full. Former Minister Mantri Parshad Naithani was expected many to bag the party the Dev Prayag seat. But once the ticket was denied to Naithani, he rebelled and is mounting problems for the official Congress canadidate and former minister Shoorvir Singh Seiwan.
Former Congress MLA Harish Durgapal has filed in the papers from the Lal Kuan constituency against the party's official nominee.
Senior Congress leader Harak Singh Rawat who is locked in tough fight with BJP's Matbar Singh Kandari has to fight off the challenge of not one but two party rebels.
Bharat Chaudhary and Virender Singh Bisht, both said to be associated with the Congress are now opposing the party's official canadidate.
The presence of S P Singh, who was associated with the Congress, in the fray from Doiwala in Dehradun district has diluted to some extent the challenge of senior leader and ex minister Hira Singh Bisht who is fighting the CM Ramesh Pokhriyal.
Congress candidates also have to enounter the challenge of rebels in other seats like Rishikesh, Haridwar (RURAL), Ranipur and Sahaspur.
They deter its members from hobnobbing with the rebels the party has already cancelled the membership of nearly fifty of its workers in the state.
Many locals here believe that the rebels know that if none of the two parties has an absolute majority, and they manage to win a seat, they may be in for a bargain.
U'khand Polls: Rebels Give Parties a Tough Time
Amandeep Shukla/Srinagar (Pauri District)
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 'Democracy Stands Dead At Hands Of BJP,' Says Congress As CBI Arrests Chidambaram
- With P. Chidambaram's Arrest, His Anticipatory Bail Plea Before SC Rendered Infructuous
- 'It's Witch-Hunt... Done To Divert Attention From Issue Of Article 370': Karti Chidambaram On Father's Arrest
- Dalits' Protest Against Demolition Of Delhi Temple Turns Violent; Chandrashekhar Azad Among 50 Detained
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- MNS Chief Raj Thackeray To Appear Before ED Today In IL&FS Money Laundering Case
- Delhi Temple Demolition: Priyanka Gandhi Hits Out At BJP Govt Over Lathi Charge On Dalit Protesters
- 'Between Life And Liberty, I shall Choose Liberty': Chidambaram During His Dramatic Media Appearance
- Punjab, Assam And Mizoram Accords Under Rajiv Gandhi Strengthened Indian Union: Rahul Gandhi
- Pakistan's Human Rights Minister Asks UNICEF To Remove Priyanka Chopra As Goodwill Ambassador
- Kohli Wants Openers To Make It Count Vs WI
- 'Seriously' Looking At Ending Birthright Citizenship, Says US President Donald Trump
- Preview: WI Vs IND, 1st Test