A 21-year-old Briton accused of robbing an injured Malaysian student while pretending to help him during last week's riots, was remanded in custody today after a preliminary hearing, even as police released a fresh set of CCTV images of suspects in the unrest.
Reece Donovan is accused of stealing a portable PlayStation and mobile phone from Ashraf Hasiq, who had been in Britain for less than a month, in Barking, east London on August 8.
The appalling incident was caught on camera and seen by millions across the globe on television channels and on the Internet.
Donovan did not enter a plea. He will reappear at Wood Green crown court in north London in October.
Meanwhile, a judge has released a woman who was jailed for accepting looted shorts in what is thought to be the first appeal against a sentence over the unrest.
Ursula Nevin, 24, was jailed for five months in Manchester, but has now been ordered to do voluntary work, the BBC reported.
MPs and campaigners have said some of the sentences given to those involved in England's riots were too harsh.
Earlier this week, Nevin was jailed by a district judge who heard she had been asleep at home during the riots but later accepted the shorts which had been looted from a city centre shop by a friend.
She was freed by the Machester Crown Court today, and ordered to do 75 hours of unpaid voluntary work.
The judge Andrew Gilbart, who earlier this week justified severe sentences for rioters, said that he was setting aside the prison sentence because Nevin had not actually taken part in the riots.
UK Riots: Briton Accused of Robbing Injured Jailed
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- In Den Of Match-Fixers, Why BCCI's Fraud Detecting System For IPL Still Has Holes
- Truce Is The Only Option For EPS And OPS In Tamil Nadu
- Court Awards Life Imprisonment To Four; Victim's Family Demands Death Penalty
- Coal Scam: Court Convicts Former Union Minister Dilip Ray, Others
- MI Vs RR: Rajasthan Face Rampaging Mumbai
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- SSR Coverage Shows How Mindless TV Journalism Has Become: Barkha Dutt
- Advancing Security In Indo-Pacific A Priority: Jaishankar At Quad Meeting
- Haryana Dy CM Dushyant Chautala Tests Positive For Covid
- The Dormant State Of Indian Health Care Centres
- French Open: Line Judge Deja Vu For Djokovic In Khachanov Win
- Nowhere To Go: MCI Staff Told To Vacate Building
- Atal Rohtang Tunnel: Three Accidents In 72 Hours Since Inauguration
- CSK's Belief In Watson Surreal, But That's What Dhoni Is All About