Cherie Blair, barrister and wife of former prime minister Tony Blair, today sued the now-defunct News of the World over hacking of her phone, joining a host of celebrities and others who have initiated legal proceedings against media baron Rupert Murdoch's company.
Cherie's solicitor Graham Atkins confirmed a claim had been made "in relation to the unlawful interception of her voicemails" against News International and private investigator Glenn Mulcaire, who was allegedly hired by the closed tabloid to hack into phones of celebrities and others for information to be used in sensational stories.
"I can confirm that we have issued a claim on behalf of Cherie Blair in relation to the unlawful interception of her voice-mails. I will not be commenting any further at this time," a statement from Atkins said.
News International had settled 37 civil actions in January, and had paid out to another 21 victims of phone hacking earlier this month.
The company is also seeking settlement with singer Charlotte Church, whose legal action will proceed to a full trial at the high court on Monday unless it is settled beforehand.
Many more civil actions are likely to be mounted against News International.
Alastair Campbell, the former communications director during Tony Blair's tenure as prime minister, told the Leveson inquiry in November that he believed it was "possible" that some stories about the Blairs were obtained by phone hacking.
UK Phone-Hacking: Cherie Blair Sues Murdoch Company
THE LATEST ISSUE
- JEE Advanced Cut Off Lowest In Recent Years, Here’s Why?
- RCB Vs DC: Vibrant Delhi Rout Bangalore By 59 Runs To Go Top Of Table
- In Absence Of Ailing Paswan, Son Chirag Left To Fight His Own Battle In Bihar Polls
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- Hathras Case: Forensic Report That Denied Rape Contains No Value, Say Medical Experts
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- Ashwin Leaves Finch With 'Mankading' Warning
- Reopening Of Schools After Months Of Lockdown
- Trio Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Discovery Of Hepatitis C Virus
- FIR Registration Should Be Made Compulsory For All States: Gehlot
- Smriti Irani Calls Rahul Gandhi A 'VIP Kisan'
- Scientists Say ‘Feluda’ Test Could Help India Battle COVID-19
- Foreign Secretary, Army Chief Of India Visit Myanmar
- Delhi Capitals Will Be Hard To Beat In IPL 2020, Says RCB Skipper Virat Kohli