The United Arab Emirates recalled its envoy to Tehran today, state news agency WAM reported, after having protested over a visit by Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to a disputed island.
"The foreign ministry has recalled its ambassador to the Islamic Republic of Iran, Saif Mohammed Abid al-Zaabi, for consultations," it said.
Emirati Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al-Nahayan yesterday slammed Ahmadinejad's visit to the island of Abu Musa as a "flagrant violation of UAE sovereignty over its territories."
Both Iran and the Emirates claim territorial sovereignty over Abu Musa and two other islands in the southern Gulf.
This is a "setback to all efforts and attempts the UAE is making to find a peaceful settlement to Iran's occupation of the three UAE islands," the foreign minister said, quoted by WAM.
"This visit will not change the legal status of these islands which are part... Of the UAE national soil," the English-language statement said.
During his visit to the disputed island earlier yesterday, Ahmadinejad insisted historical documents proved "the Persian Gulf is Persian," according to Iran's official IRNA news agency.
The Iranian leader said the name "Persian Gulf" derived from the "culture, civilisation and the dominant opinion" of the area.
UAE Recalls Envoy to Iran in Islands Row
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Experts Recommend Covaxin For Phase 2/3 Trials On 2-8-Year-Olds
- Delhi, Karnataka Among States To Take Global Tender For Covid Vaccine Amid Shortage
- Compensation For Death Of Polling Officers Due To Covid Must Be Rs 1 Crore: Allahabad HC
- Bengal Polls: Widespread Fear Of BJP's Agenda Torpedoed Its Chances
- US Has Donated Half A Billion USD To India As Covid Aid: White House Official
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Paradigm Shift: Punjab Farmers Welcome Direct Payment System
- 32-Year-Old Garbage Collector Who Skipped Jab, Dies Of Covid In Shimla
- What Is Mucormycosis?
- AMU Doctor Dies Of Covid, Toll Of Staff Succumbing To Virus Rises To 35
- Payworld To Assist Rural Folks With Covid Vaccine Registration
- Assam Gets Its First Woman Finance Minister As Sarma Distributes Portfolios
- Why Team India Will Take Covishield?
- Sania Mirza's Fight With Depression