Works by Indian writers Manu Joseph and Tabish Khair have been shortlisted for the Man Asian Literary Prize, the leading international award for authors from the continent.
Five books were selected from a longlist of 10. These are Three Sisters by Bi Feiyu (China), Serious Men by Joseph, The Thing About Thugs by Khair, Nobel Prize winning Japanese writer Kenzaburo Oe's The Changeling and Hotel Iris by another Japanese Yoko Ogawa.
A total of 54 works from all over Asia were submitted this year and the overall winner of the MALP 2010, which carries a cash award of USD 30,000, will be announced in Hong Kong on March 17.
The judges for this year's Prize are Monica Ali, Homi K Bhabha and Hsu-Ming Teo.
Serious Men is Joseph's debut novel which is about Ayyan Mani who works as a lowly personal assistant to a brilliant, insufferable astronomer.
The judges termed journalist-writer Joseph's work as "a seriously funny, ingenious novel, part satire, part comedy of manners, and an intelligent commentary on both Dalit-Brahmin issues and academic science".
Poet-novelist Khair's The Thing About Thugs is story of Amir Ali who leaves his village in Bihar to travel to London with an English captain, William Meadows, to whom he narrates the story of his life - the story of a murderous thug.
While Meadows tries to analyse the strange cult of the Indian Thug, a group of Englishmen sets out to prove the inherent difference between races by examining their skulls -- with bizarre consequences.
"Crossing continents and centuries, Khair's inventive multiple narrative subtly subverts expectation and post-colonial narrative traditions by simultaneously echoing Dickens's London and inserting a totally fresh voice at its centre," the judges said about the novel.
David Parker, chair of the Board of Directors of the MALP, said of the shortlisted works, "Our judges have chosen five very different novels, each in its own way brilliant and captivating, representing the achievements of three major Asian cultures - China, India and Japan. Readers everywhere now have the opportunity to enjoy and compare the high and distinctive accomplishments of the novel across the breadth of Asia."
The longlist, announced in December, included six titles by Indian authors, two by Japanese writers and one each from China and the Philippines, which were selected from 54 titles by writers from 14 Asian countries.
The other Indian authors who featured in the longlist were Upamanyu Chatterjee (Way To Go), Anosh Irani (Dahanu Road), Usha K R (Monkey-man) and Sarita Mandanna (Tiger Hills).
The Man Asian Literary Prize was founded in 2007. It is given annually to the best novel by an Asian writer, either written in English or translated into English, and published in the previous calendar year.
If the winning work is a translation, the translator is awarded USD 5,000.
Two Indians in Man Asian Literary Prize Shortlist
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hateras And Us: Dalit Death Symptom Of Graver Malaise
- Lalu Prasad Yadav Granted Bail In Fodder Scam Case, But To Remain In Jail
- SRH Vs KXIP: Rashid Khan Reflects On Damage Scoreboard Pressure Can Do
- If There’s Evidence Of TRP Manipulations, I&B Ministry Can Cancel Channel's Licence: Manish Tewari
- Staff Crunch Halts Airing Of Modi's Mann Ki Baat In 10 Countries
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- RBI Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged At 4%, Says Governor Shaktikanta Das
- Rs 10 Crore Fine Ready, Sasikala May Walk Out Of Jail Any Time Now: Lawyer
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar’s Suicide Note Hints At Depression
- French Open: Teen Sensation Swiatek Storms Into Maiden Grand Slam Final
- How Ram Vilas Paswan's Death May Impact Bihar Assembly Elections
- 'BJP To Rule For 30-Years, If People Hang Vivekananda's Picture:' Biplab
- Republic TV Among 3 Channels Being Probed For TRP Manipulation
- Cricket Australia Should Not Bow Down To BCCI: Allan Border Slams CA