President Pratibha Patil today conferred the 'Presidential Standards' to two units of the Indian Air Force, including the Number 24 Squadron of Sukhoi-30 MKI fighter aircraft, in recognition of their services to the country.
Patil, the Supreme Commander of the armed forces, presented the 'Presidential Standards' to 24 squadron and 111 Helicopter Unit today amid full Air Force regalia in a ceremonial parade at the Air Force Station here.
"This rare honour has been bestowed upon 24 Squadron and 111 Helicopter unit in recognition of the dedicated and meritorious service rendered by the Units," IAF officials said today.
Raised in 1962, the 24 Squadron was the first to operate Su-30MKI aircraft from Leh airfield.
"With the motto of 'Navijitya Nivartanam' which means 'No Return Without Conquest' in Sanskrit, the Squadron has won two Mention-in-Despatches, 13 Vayu Sena Medals and one Vishisht Seva Medal. It participated in 1962 Indo-China war and the 1971 Indo-Pak war," the officials added.
The 111 Helicopter Unit codenamed as 'Snow Tigers' received the Standard for living up to its motto of 'Apatsu Mitram–Friends in Distress' while performing its duty at an altitude of over 23,000 feet.
Formed in 1963, the Unit saw action during the Indo-Pak wars in 1965 and 1971.
"The unit has created a world record for the highest landing by a Cheetah helicopter at an altitude of 23,250 ft. It had the distinction of receiving unit citations, One Kirti Chakra, 16 Vayu Sena Medals and three Vishist Seva Medals," the officials said.
Two IAF Units Presented With 'Presidential Standards'
THE LATEST ISSUE
- What is Mucormycosis? What Are The Symptoms? Know It From Expert
- 11 Covid Patients Die In Tirupati Hospital As 'Oxygen Tanker Arrived Late'
- Covid Explained: How Vaccines Work And React On Different Body Types
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Clueless Congress Stumbles From One Poll Defeat To Another
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- What Is Ivermectin, FDA-Approved Drug That Goa Has Recommended?
- Bengaluru To Witness Covid Peak By May 17; To See Over 14K Deaths: Experts
- Fact Check: Has Covaxin Been Approved For Children Above 12 Years?
- Delhi Should Prepare For Third Covid wave: Arvind Kejriwal
- Domestic Travel Bans Can Increase Covid-19 Cases
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- 'Sushil Has Tarnished Wrestling's Image,' LOC Served After Murder
- Virat Kohli, Ishant Sharma Get First Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine