The senior pontiff of a 1,500 year old Saivite Mutt, who sacked self-styled controversial godman Nithyananda as his successor, today said the trust formed jointly by them had been dissolved.
"The Madurai Adheenam Trust has been dissolved in the backdrop of HR& CE department stating before the Principal Sub court here it was set up without obtaining its permission and the Mutt's objective was to take control and manage property worth more than Rs 1,000 crore," Sri Arunagirinathar, the 292nd head of Madurai Adheenam, told reporters.
He said the honour and prestige of the Mutt in which great saints, including Tirugnanasambandhar had been pontiffs had now been restored with the dismissal of Nithyanandha.
"There is no need for continuing with the Trust," he said.
To a question, he said it was not possible for Nithyanandha to dismiss him, even if he wanted to. "The senior incumbent pontiff cannot be dismissed by a junior".
Mutt officials said the Adheenam had been receiving congratulatory messages from all over the state since yesterday following the October 19 dismissal of Nithyananda.
They said customs introduced by Nithyanandha had also been stopped and all articles brought by him, including fitness equipment, removed from the premises.
Women disciples had also been asked to leave, they said.
Nithyananda's appointment had attracted widespread condemnation from various quarters, including the government.
His dismissal followed the Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowment department moving a local court seeking removal of Arunagirinathar himself and opposing Nithyananda's appointment holding that it violated rules and mutt traditions.
The Madras High Court had also reserved orders on Oct 19 on a batch of petitions seeking removal of Nithyananda.
Nithyananda is facing charges of rape and criminal intimidation levelled against him in 2010 after some TV channels telecast purported video footage of him in a compromising position with an actress, leading to his arrest.
Trust Formed by Nithyananda Dissolved
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hateras And Us: Dalit Death Symptom Of Graver Malaise
- Lalu Yadav Will Not Be Able To Campaign In Bihar Polls Despite Getting Bail
- SRH Vs KXIP: Rashid Khan Reflects On Damage Scoreboard Pressure Can Do
- If There’s Evidence Of TRP Manipulations, I&B Ministry Can Cancel Channel's Licence: Manish Tewari
- Staff Crunch Halts Airing Of Modi's Mann Ki Baat In 10 Countries
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- RBI Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged At 4%, Says Governor Shaktikanta Das
- Rs 10 Crore Fine Ready, Sasikala May Walk Out Of Jail Any Time Now: Lawyer
- Piyush Goyal Gets Additional Charge After Paswan's Death
- French Open: Teen Sensation Swiatek Storms Into Maiden Grand Slam Final
- How Ram Vilas Paswan's Death May Impact Bihar Assembly Elections
- 'BJP To Rule For 30-Years, If People Hang Vivekananda's Picture:' Biplab
- Republic TV Among 3 Channels Being Probed For TRP Manipulation
- Cricket Australia Should Not Bow Down To BCCI: Allan Border Slams CA