A day after the Congress in Tamil Nadu was decimated in the Assembly polls, TNCC President K V Thangkabalu announced his resignation from the post, accepting moral responsibility for the defeat.
Addressing reporters here, Thangkabalu said he will send his resignation letter to Congress President Sonia Gandhi soon and will abide by the party high command's decision on the matter.
He, however, added that no party should be 'singled out' for the DMK-led front's rout in the polls by the AIADMK combine, and said he accepted the people's verdict.
The Congress had at the end of tough negotiations with regional alliance leader DMK secured 63 seats but was overwhelmed by the AIADMK juggernaut, managing to bag only five constituencies.
Thangkabalu, facing flak from various factions in the party for the choice of some candidates, himself had lost to AIADMK's R Rajalakshmi in Mylapore.
Though his wife Jayanthy was initially nominated as Congress candidate for the constituency in Chennai, her papers were rejected and he became the nominee by virtue of being the dummy candidate.
Thangkabalu, a former MP, had been facing a tough time from the party cadre, especially after the candidates were announced for the 63 seats.
He had to face the wrath of supporters of some leaders who, denied tickets, went even to the extent of damaging property at TNCC headquarters, Satyamurthy Bhavan.
The AIADMK-led alliance had won 203 seats while the DMK-combine 31. The Jayalalithaa-led AIADMK secured an absolute majority of its own in the 234-member assembly, bagging 150 seats of the 160 it contested.
TN Polls After-Effect: TNCC Chief Thangkabalu Resigns
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Bombay High Court Grants Bail to Actor Rhea Chakraborty
- With EPS As CM Candidate, AIADMK Looks For Continuity
- KKR Vs CSK: Focus On Captains As Kolkata Face Chennai
- Aatma Nirbhar Bharat: A Salad Bowl Of Many Healthy Ideas, Some Of Them Incompatible
- Prashant Kishor’s Team Starts Feeling The Heat Of Infighting In TMC
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Press Association, IWPC Condemns Arrest of Kerala Journalist
- Pro Pros And Cons: Publicists Face The Music As Drugs Scandal Hits Bollywood
- Media Trial Of Rhea Chakraborty Shows No Respect For Ethics And Propriety
- J&K: Militants Open Fire At BJP Leader, PSO Killed
- H-1B Visas Should Be Reserved Only For 'Specialised Talent': White House
- NMC Takes Charge Sans Website, No Way To Cross-Verify Doctors’ Bonafide
- Nadal Battles Past Teenage Sinner
- Steve Smith Fined Rs 12 Lakh