A day after the Congress in Tamil Nadu was decimated in the Assembly polls, TNCC President K V Thangkabalu announced his resignation from the post, accepting moral responsibility for the defeat.
Addressing reporters here, Thangkabalu said he will send his resignation letter to Congress President Sonia Gandhi soon and will abide by the party high command's decision on the matter.
He, however, added that no party should be 'singled out' for the DMK-led front's rout in the polls by the AIADMK combine, and said he accepted the people's verdict.
The Congress had at the end of tough negotiations with regional alliance leader DMK secured 63 seats but was overwhelmed by the AIADMK juggernaut, managing to bag only five constituencies.
Thangkabalu, facing flak from various factions in the party for the choice of some candidates, himself had lost to AIADMK's R Rajalakshmi in Mylapore.
Though his wife Jayanthy was initially nominated as Congress candidate for the constituency in Chennai, her papers were rejected and he became the nominee by virtue of being the dummy candidate.
Thangkabalu, a former MP, had been facing a tough time from the party cadre, especially after the candidates were announced for the 63 seats.
He had to face the wrath of supporters of some leaders who, denied tickets, went even to the extent of damaging property at TNCC headquarters, Satyamurthy Bhavan.
The AIADMK-led alliance had won 203 seats while the DMK-combine 31. The Jayalalithaa-led AIADMK secured an absolute majority of its own in the 234-member assembly, bagging 150 seats of the 160 it contested.
TN Polls After-Effect: TNCC Chief Thangkabalu Resigns
THE LATEST ISSUE
- With 12,651 New Infections, Delhi Logs Lowest Daily Caseload In 4 Weeks
- Citing Covid Situation Cong Again Defers Internal Poll To Elect New Chief
- Clueless Congress Continues To Stumble From One Electoral Defeat To Another
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid-19?
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Delhi’s Covaxin Stock Will Run Out In A Day: Satyendar Jain
- Japan, UNDP To Provide Oxygen Plants To Northeast States
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- Bach Cancels Japan Trip Because Of COVID Cases
- Shafali Verma Set To Play In The Hundred, May Feature In WBBL Also