Tamil Nadu government today denied reports that the Sri Lankan Navy had allegedly attacked fishermen belonging to the state on Sunday.
Fisheries Minister KA Jayapaul said following reports that they were attacked while fishing at Katchatheevu, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had directed officials to probe the matter.
"The fishermen said they heard some sound near Iranial island and suspected that it could have been a gun shot. However, no one said they witnessed the Lankan Navy firing in air and could not confirm about such an incident," he said in a statement here.
Some 697 fishermen, who had put out to the sea on July 14 from Rameswaram, had safely returned and there was no damage to boats or fishing accessories, he said.
If the Sri Lankan Navy had attacked the fishermen, the Chief Minister would have immediately brought it to the notice of the Centre, he said.
The government, which is determined to retrieve Katchatheevu, an islet ceded to Sri Lanka by India in 1974, besides ensuring traditional fishing rights of fishermen, was taking determined efforts for the fishermen's welfare, he said.
Dismissing the reports as "contrary to facts," he said they were published without ascertaining the truth and with the motive to create sensation.
TN Denies Reports on Lankan Navy Attacking Fishermen
THE LATEST ISSUE
- West Bengal Doctors Call Off Week-Long Strike After Meeting CM Mamata Banerjee
- IED Attack On Army Convoy In Pulwama Of J&K, 4 Personnel Injured
- Will Kerala MP K Suresh Lead Congress In Lok Sabha If Rahul Gandhi Says No?
- Watch: Actor-Singer Palash Sen Calls Doctors Across India To 'Halla Bol' Against Violence
- CWC 2019, BAN Vs WI: Bangladesh (66/1) Lose Sarkar After Solid Start
- With No Malls, No App-Based Economy, Kashmir Stuck At Where It Was 2 Decades Ago
- India, Pakistan And The Cost Of A Cup Of Tea In Kashmir
- In Girish Karnad's Death, My Lear Has Passed Away
- In Azim Premji, India Has Its Own Andrew Carnegie, The Man Who Donated 90% Of His Wealth
- Time Opposition Parties Revisited Their Founding Principles To Find How Far Or Close They Are To Them
- LS Polls In J&K: Uncles, Aunties And Engineer Rasheed
- Army Major Killed, 3 Jawans Injured In Gunfight With Militants In J&K's Anantnag
- First Session Of 17th Lok Sabha Begins, PM Modi, Newly-Elected Members Take Oath
- Tax Evaders Beware! No Escape By Just Paying Penalty From Today
- TV Reporter Confronts BJP 'Leader' Who Entered ICU Wearing Shoes, Wins Praise On Internet
- 'It Talks About Power Of Universalism And Liberalism': Kapil Dev On His Book 'We The Sikhs'
- Bihar: 100 Children Die Due To Suspected Acute Encephalitis, Harsh Vardhan Visits Families
- Kolkata Man's Live Stunt In Hoogly River Turns Fatal, Drowns
- Watch: This Pakistani Cricket Fan Has Some Incredible Ideas For His Team, Sarfaraz Ahmed