Tamil Nadu government today denied reports that the Sri Lankan Navy had allegedly attacked fishermen belonging to the state on Sunday.
Fisheries Minister KA Jayapaul said following reports that they were attacked while fishing at Katchatheevu, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had directed officials to probe the matter.
"The fishermen said they heard some sound near Iranial island and suspected that it could have been a gun shot. However, no one said they witnessed the Lankan Navy firing in air and could not confirm about such an incident," he said in a statement here.
Some 697 fishermen, who had put out to the sea on July 14 from Rameswaram, had safely returned and there was no damage to boats or fishing accessories, he said.
If the Sri Lankan Navy had attacked the fishermen, the Chief Minister would have immediately brought it to the notice of the Centre, he said.
The government, which is determined to retrieve Katchatheevu, an islet ceded to Sri Lanka by India in 1974, besides ensuring traditional fishing rights of fishermen, was taking determined efforts for the fishermen's welfare, he said.
Dismissing the reports as "contrary to facts," he said they were published without ascertaining the truth and with the motive to create sensation.
TN Denies Reports on Lankan Navy Attacking Fishermen
THE LATEST ISSUE
- PM Modi 'Feels He Has It Under Control': Trump On Kashmir At G7 Summit
- INX Media Case: No Relief For Chidambaram, Court Extends CBI Custody By 4 Days
- So Where Will Assam's 'Illegal Immigrants' Go? Government Says NRC Not Death Knell
- Opposition Using 'Maarak Shakti...': Pragya Thakur On Death Of BJP Leaders -- Video
- BSP Chief Mayawati Slams Rahul Gandhi, Opposition Leaders For Kashmir Visit
- Strong And Decisive Leadership May Not Help Always. It Can Cause More Damage Than Good
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Government Sacks 22 More Tax Officers For Graft, Misconduct
- Watch | Florida Golfer Continues With His Game As 7-Feet Alligator Strolls Casually Next To Him
- Siddaramaiah Says K'taka Govt Will Not Last Long, Urges Congress To Prepare For Early Polls
- Trump Says US-China Trade Talks 'To Start Very Shortly'
- BJP To Hold Nationwide Mass Contact Programme To Highlight Significance Of Scrapping Article 370
- This Fashion Institute 'Stole' Designer Manish Malhotra's Brand, Then Appointed Him Brand Ambassador
- Sindhu To Receive Cash Reward For Stellar Showing At Badminton Worlds
- Hosts Must Take Inspiration From Stokes - Root