Dr Lobsang Sangay, the democratically-elected leader of the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA), today signed the Charter amendment for the change of the official title of Tibetan Prime Minister (Kalon Tripa) to Political Leader (Sikyong).
This ceremony was held at the Tibetan Secretariat here.
The charter amendment bill related to this was earlier passed in the Tibetan parliament, which gave its unanimous approval to the charter amendment.
The name change has been effected in keeping with the Dalai Lama's speech on August 8, 2011.
Following the devolution of his political authority to the democratically-elected Tibetan leadership, Dalai Lama had said he was handing over the political leadership he inherited to "Sikyong Lobsang Sangay."
"I took over the political leadership of Tibet from Sikyong Taktra Rinpoche, when I was 16 years old. Today, in the 21st century, when democracy is thriving, I hand over the political leadership of Tibet to Sikyong Lobsang Sangay," the spiritual leader of Tibet had said.
Sangay was elected in the third direct elections for the Kalon Tripa held in March 2011.
However, after this amendment, title 'Kalon' (minister) for the remaining seven members of the Kashag (Cabinet) will remain the same.
Tibetan PM Now 'Political Leader' After Charter Amendment
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- 'Have Lost Courage’: YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- As India Battles The Virus, Let Us Not Weaken National Resolve
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- T20 World Cup Could Be Postponed Or Shifted From India: Ian Chappell